No updating, no password, no response...

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Sandoz

No updating, no password, no response...

Post by Sandoz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:33 am

Hi everyone,

I bought a copy of Swordfish on 10-Jun-2010 from Circuit-ED, which included the CD-ROM and two dongles. I haven't been able to use it much since then for a variety of reasons -- until now. After I received the software, I briefly had it installed on a MacBook Pro VM under Parallels, and it worked and updated fine. A few days ago, I installed it on a desktop PC and upon attempting the update, it asked me for a password.

Checking the forum, it seemed that I was not alone. One person suggested sending a PM to David, which sounded like a sensible course of action, and I did. This was on Monday, but I have not received a password (or any response). I also provided David with a link to a PDF copy of my invoice. So yesterday I decided to send David an e-mail, explaining that I very much wanted to take advantage of the time offered by the forthcoming four-day Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S. and do some work with Swordfish. In addition, I again provided him with a link to the invoice file, and basically reiterated what I had stated in the PM. Still no response.

I read the forum some more and saw something about a cracked version of Swordfish existing on the Net, so I assume that this is the reason for the dongles PLUS password. This made me wonder whether David perhaps thought I was pirating his software, since I just kind of showed up out of the blue wanting a password (To hopefully dispel that idea, please see the photos below).

Was I being too pushy, expecting him to give me the password I should already have had (or truly, not needed in the first place, in light of the dongle) in such a short time (two days)? I didn't think so, since I did shell out USD $200+ for the software.

Bottom line, PLEASE, PLEASE give me a password so I can use the software that I bought a license to use, so I don't have to spend the entire four days watching television sports and eating turkey!

Here are some relevant photos. Note that there is no serial number on the box or anywhere else that I could see.

[removed by admin]

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Robert,

Worst case scenario, download the demo version of SF. It has some limitations but it will be many months before you encounter them. In any event, save your work and you will be able to use it with the full version. You can get it here http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/swordfish/d ... index.html

rmteo
Longmont, CO

Jon Chandler

Post by Jon Chandler » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:24 am

Perhaps a short message would have sufficed. David is pretty good about helping people get up and running. I doubt your large pictures will help much - in fact, they just annoy people.

Sandoz

Post by Sandoz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:39 am

@Jon: That remains to be seen, as far as I'm concerned; I don't know David yet, other than that I like what I have seen so far of his software--I'm new here. What I DO know is that i paid $200 for a program that includes updates. When I made the purchase, it was not necessary to have a password to receive updates. It's not a matter of being "pretty good about helping people...", it's a matter of contractual and perhaps ethical obligation, and providing that which was agreed upon when the sale was concluded. (N.B. I can sympathize with David, and anyone else for that matter, who writes software, or produces any product, and then has it stolen from him or her. However, in my view, making your paying customers in effect "guilty until proven innocent" is not the way to go, nor will it ever be. It may never be possible to stop software piracy entirely, but garnering a positive relationship with your customers will certainly yield more of a pay off more than treating them like criminals.) By the way, I left the photos somewhat large so that it would be easier to see that they aren't faked, or "Photoshopped".

I sincerely believe that the points I have made are valid at their essence, and if you are annoyed by them, then I guess you'll just have to go on being annoyed.

gramo

Post by gramo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:41 am

As you're probably aware - the password protected updates is a new feature. You have received a version of Swordfish that precedes the very recent security update..

Not to worry - David will get back to you, and it looks you have more than enough proof to ensure it will be resolved shortly :wink:
digital-diy.com - Hobby microcontroller projects and tutorials. Assembly, PICBasic and C examples.

Australian distributor for the Swordfish Compiler

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:55 am

Yes, this kind of post does annoy me somewhat. You are making assumtions without establishing the facts.

I sent a reply to you on the 24th November at 14:51, with passwords.

I suggest you check your inbox or spam filter.

I've sent the email again just to be on the safe side. If you still haven't received anything then a short post will suffice and we will take it from there...