Any thoughts on q41 parts?

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

richardb

Any thoughts on q41 parts?

Post by richardb » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:33 am

Hi I was wondering what peoples experiances were with the q41 parts.

for me the PIC18F06Q41 looks very interesting for home projects, but more generally how have they worked for you? as i've had bad experiances with things like the adc in the k80 part.

so... whats the adc like ? does it have any offsets and is the noise ok when using 12 bits?

does the PPS work with confidance ie can i design the board for best layout rather than default pin operation?

can i use the pic without a crystal and rs232 without any issues?

and lastly are there any other issues that i should know about?

Richard
Hmmm..

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: Any thoughts on q41 parts?

Post by Jerry Messina » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:31 am

So far, my experience has been generally positive.
whats the adc like ? does it have any offsets and is the noise ok when using 12 bits?
I haven't done any in depth measurements, so I can't really comment on this one.
does the PPS work with confidance ie can i design the board for best layout rather than default pin operation?
Yes, PPS works fine.
can i use the pic without a crystal and rs232 without any issues?
As long as you're working from 0-60degC, it's within 2%, so yes. Outside that range it gets a bit worse... up to 5% at the extreme which is too far out.
and lastly are there any other issues that i should know about?
Like most of the new parts the MSSP peripheral is gone and has been split into two SPI and I2C peripherals. The SPI is fairly backwards compatible, but the new I2C isn't, so any existing code would have to be re-written. For an I2C master , it's probably easiest to just use the software I2C routines.

A general limitation with these lower pin count parts is sometimes the fixed analog functions overlap (ie DACOUT and CMPIN share the same pin), but that happens on some of the bigger parts too. My biggest gripe is that the ICSP pins share RA0/RA1 pins so you can't use the analog functions on those if you use ICD debugging!

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am

I should have mentioned to make sure you have the latest library updates to V2.2.3.6
see User Module Wiki page

https://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/wiki- ... 2_2021.zip

richardb

Post by richardb » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:02 am

Thanks for that Jerry. I have now ordered one and will design a test board to check out some of the features and report back.

on another Note was the Q43 sram errata fixed ? and if so, is it easy to get the new silicon?

Richard
Hmmm..

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:56 am

Let us know how it goes, Richard.
on another Note was the Q43 sram errata fixed ? and if so, is it easy to get the new silicon?
Yes it was. B2 silicon fixed it, which was a few revs ago.

How easy is it to get?
Right now with the way things are, getting ANY silicon has been a real crap shoot.
Depending on the exact part, it looks like Digikey has a few.

richardb

Post by richardb » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:19 pm

The chip shortage is kind of why i'm looking at these new parts, they cover most bases 12bit, 5v 64mhz and pps, except usb, and we are moving away from pic based usb anyway.

my plan was to buy some and test them and then buy a batch for stock if all looks good.

Thanks again.
Richard
Hmmm..

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:35 pm

I've been caught in this too, but so far it's been like playing "whack-a-mole" with redesigning things...
if you don't buy the parts when you see them available then when you go back they're gone.

If there's anything I can help with (besides actually finding parts), let me know, and good luck!

richardb

Post by richardb » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for the offer Jerry

Rich
Hmmm..