Lothar Stoltz ICD

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

nick66

Lothar Stoltz ICD

Post by nick66 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I have a very simple ICD designed by Lothar Stoltz. Everything works up to the final bit where Mplab says "Connecting to debug executive" at this point It fails. Everything else is perfect, it compiles and programs the target etc. I have read the web page carefully and checked for the .cof file. The Stoltz ICD uses a 16F876A pic, but it programs the target ok, would that be the problem? I read elsewhere on this forum a similar question may have been answered already, I could not find it though. The Stoltz ICD works fine with the latest version8 of Mplab stepping through assembly code. I note the junebug debug setup has an extra file in the project "junebug.bas" do I need an equivalent "stoltz.bas"? if so, I think I will have to buy the junebug ICD it is not hugely expensive (it would nice not have to though, cash is cash). ICDs are a real help for novice programers such as myself, it's great to see one almost working in Sworfish. . . . regards Nick66

nick66

ICD stepping ok

Post by nick66 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Well I just had to reply to myself and say that the Lothar Stoltz does in fact work fine, it is a bit slow though using RS232. I still think I'm going to give the Junebug a go though, my homemade hardware is frustrating beyond belief at times. Still it I am pleased that the Lothar Stoltz works.
regards Nick
A Little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

nick66

Junebug?

Post by nick66 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Sometimes I wonder why I do this . . I'm rubbish at it . . I seem to have got the ICD working OK. Reserving the memory for the ICD is important otherwise the debug executive will not load. And the man is right, the settings are in ICD help. The Mplab software debugger is useful as well.

I am wondering about the Junebug. I know it's USB which is good, but will it really be any faster than a RS232 cable version? Anybody know about these things? . . Nick66

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 pm

I found the Junebug really easy to use with MPLAB and well supported. But that's just a personal view...

nick66

pickit2

Post by nick66 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes the trick is to make sure your low cost debugger is PicKit2 compatable, I finally laid Lothars debugger to rest and invested in a PIckit2 . . wow! it was a pleasure to see it spring into life . . and fast, I had to stand back for fear of scorch marks . .

works really well with sworfish code . . is it really going to be useful?

I do hope so . . regards nick66

normnet

Post by normnet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Would their be an introduction as to how PICKIT works with Swordfish?
Does it debug in MPLAB IDE?
I just recently have gotten PICKIT3 running with command line.

Norm

normnet

Post by normnet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm

I have discovered the programming parameters to program using Pickit3 directly
from the IDE.
I downloaded Microchip MPLAB latest 8.4, uninstalled previous version and
installed new to its default directory.
MPLAB automatically upgraded the firmware of the Pickit3 on first run.

The Programmer name for IDE is PK3CMD.exe and is located at:
C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\Programmer Utilities\Pickit3\PK3CMD.exe
The parameters are:
-P$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -B
The -B (batch) is only to keep the DOS window open after programming to
see completion messages and could be left out. A space bar press will exit DOS.
If the PIC hangs after programming add a -L to release the MCLR.
Add an V5 or V.3 and possibly other voltages to power the PIC from the Pickit3 USB.

Norm

nick66

pickit2 response

Post by nick66 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:39 pm

I have had no problems with pickit2, worked with everything. I eventually came to conclusion debugging Swordfish in Mplab was not as useful as I had expected, the Swordfish IDE is good and works well with the Pickit software that pops up when you compile a prog. Is pickit3 a lot different? . . . That's progress I suppose. :shock:

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:56 pm

I use a PICKit2. But I don't have it integrated into the SF IDE. I use the PICKit2 GUI app. The GUI has an option that allows it to monitor a HEX file. When that HEX file changes (after a compile), the GUI detects it and writes the new program to the PIC. Works pretty nicely.

I bought a PICKit3 thinking I was missing out on some features. I couldn't find a similar GUI app for it. It seems like it has to be run from inside MPLab. I'm not a fan of MPLab and wanted to stay with the SF IDE. So I ended up back with the PICKit2. So much for progress.

Bryan

Pickit2 vs Pickit3

Post by Bryan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 am

You might be interested in David Jones video review of the new Pickit3 and Microchips 'video' response.

checkout this link:

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevbl ... er-review/

ps note that microchip is already making changes to the new pickit3
Bryan