USB VID & PID problem changing from default setting

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

nick66

USB VID & PID problem changing from default setting

Post by nick66 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Briefly I built a simple thermometer app using the ol' ds18b20. This communicates via CDC usb to an application written in Liberty Basic. I'ts a bit of fun as the temperature changes the face of a character rendered in 3d sofware changes. When it is hot he goes red and uncomfortable when it is cold he looks equally miserable. It all works well.

My problem is . . . in using any other vid & pid settings other than the default. I thought it would be a nice touch just to finialise the app with my own personal vid & pid.

Using the #option to change the PID & VID to anything other than the default settings prevents the PC from finding and installing the virtual com port.

VID 0x03EB PID 0x204D these are two of the numbers I tried there are plenty of them if you search for personal use.

I am using a PIC 18F2450 micro, what am I doing wrong? The help seems fairly clear . . I cannot understand it.

To be able to use usb in my projects is fantastic. I have not a clue how it works, but the help is clear. Everything has gone so well, I was not expecting this error. If anybody can offer a few words of wisdom I would be most appreciative.

Regards Nick
A Little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

octal

Post by octal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:53 pm

when you change the VID and PID in the firmware, think also to change them in the INF file (driver file) provided for CDC handling.

Regards

nick66

vid & pid

Post by nick66 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:20 am

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes I did think to try this as I noticed the numbers were different in the .inf file, but it seems to have no effect. I just get the message about windows going on the net and searching for a suitable driver.

I will try it again to make sure that this is not the problem, it could be the way I am typing them in.

Regards Nick

nick66

many thanks

Post by nick66 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:43 am

Yes you were right, my fault in entering the numbers incorrectly. I could not understand why it would not work when obviously it should. Thank God for the Forum . . regards Nick