About Modules copyrights?

Coding and general discussion relating to user created compiler modules

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

octal

About Modules copyrights?

Post by octal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi,
Please, I would like to have a confirmation (or answer) about Swordfish modules and Users modules copyright;
I know that Swordfish modules can (are intended to) be used in commercial products. The produced firmwares can be sold without royalties as long as no source codes (of modules) are themself sold.

But What about users modules published on the Wiki or on the forum ? Do they have the same copyright ?
Can we use them in commercial products? (I think specially to Steven Tactile Screen driver, but I want an answer for all modules)

Regards
Octal

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:34 pm

I personally am happy for any of my libraries to be used commercially for free, with the usual disclaimer about liabilities. I can't speak for others though. Maybe there should be several categories on the wiki - people could post in the relevant section, depending on their licence conditions. Could we adopt standard open source licence conditions?

Steve

octal

Post by octal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Steven wrote:I personally am happy for any of my libraries to be used commercially for free, ...
Thank you Steven ... this is very generous and very kind of you.
Steven wrote: ...Could we adopt standard open source licence conditions?
Standard open source licenses are a bit tricky ... GPL for example let you use open source in your projects but you have to delploy also modified sources...

LGPL solves that but has a lot of tricky things about final copyright... I do not know a lot about other licenses, but I know that they are very ambigus :(

Regards
Octal