Maxime Integrated MAX7219/MAX7221 module

Coding and general discussion relating to user created compiler modules

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

octal

Maxime Integrated MAX7219/MAX7221 module

Post by octal » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Hello,
I have published a new module on the wiki. It handles a single or multiple cascaded MAX7219 / MAX7221 modules. Examples are given in each case.

http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki ... 19.MAX7221

The module is a preliminary working version. A complementary module will be published in future days. While actually, you can adress each digit separately and write any digit (0..9 and decimal point) and some symbols ("-", "H", "E", "L", "P", " "), actual module use convert.bas functions to format any numerical value to be displayed. Most of the time, we don't really need those formating features. A complementary module will reuse part of the code of convert.bas to create more optimized versions and adress directlyt the digits instead of creating a string, and giving back the string to actual module to decode and show it on the display.

Actual module let you also disable the MAX72xx B-Decoder, and thus, it lets you use the MAX72xx as a Line/Col LED matrix driver. The cascading is still handled in this case.

The time permitting, I'll also post examples on how to use LED matrix cascades.

A port of this modue to Firewing is in its road.

Regards

bitfogav

Re: Maxime Integrated MAX7219/MAX7221 module

Post by bitfogav » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing Octal, I'll like to check this chip out on a led matrix :)

octal

Re: Maxime Integrated MAX7219/MAX7221 module

Post by octal » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 pm

I didn't tried it on a LED matrix, because I don't have needed hardware. I may order three or four matrixes on ebay this week, but it will take about 2 weeks to get them at home.