PIC 10F220/222

Coding and general discussion relating to user created compiler modules

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Widgetman

PIC 10F220/222

Post by Widgetman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi,
It has been a while since I had to use my PIC compiler, but I now have yet another need for a widget on the farm. I was wondering if there is any support for the PIC 10F220 or the 10F222 parts yet ?
Thanks

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

No, 18F only...

Widgetman

PIC LIBRARIES

Post by Widgetman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for getting back to me. I took a look at the add-on tool for converting a library from MPLAB to Swordfish, and totally got lost in the Microchip IDE. That thing has become quite complicated, and honestly I am not sure how anyone would create a project in a reasonable amount of time. This was the reason I purchased Swordfish years ago to simplify my PIC designs. I was wondering if there is any way to get to converting the files needed for the 10FXXX and 12FXXX parts that would not take a PHD to comprehend. If anyone has a good suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all the support

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:45 pm

10F parts are not supported by the compiler. 18F only.

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:14 am

Hi Widgetman,

Re Swordfish and 18F series only ....

For all my big and small projects even blinking a LED I use PIC 18F87J50 they're only $4 here.

(If the microscopic leads are a problem PIC18F4550 etc come in DIP40 packages)

Even though it seems a frightful waste of resources, a huge powerful CPU blinking a LED!! it means I can be an "expert" in one kind of chip instead of superficial knowledge of dozens and buy them in bulk !

Maybe 18F would be OK for your application.

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm not sure if you are aware, but different processors in the PIC range have a different 'core' - in other words, what instructions they support, what memory they can access (and how) etc.

The PIC10F series is the most basic range that Microchip produce and have many limitations which would make it a mamoth task to modify how Swordfish creates code to allow it to support them. Even the more powerful PIC16 series is sufficiently limited that David decided not to support them and stick with the PIC18 series.

It is maybe worth noting that even Mikroelectronkia don't support the PIC10 series with their compiler.

In the past I have used the BKND CC5X compiler with great success for the smaller PICs. It only supports a limited subset of C so is fairly easy to pick up, but you do need to get more intimate with the inner workings of these more basic chips as you don't have the processing power and memory to take the short-cuts a good compiler like Swordfish allows.

Personally, I wish Microchip would make a 14-pin version of the PIC18 series. An 8-pin version would be a dream but I can't see it happening! It does seem a waste to use a 20 pin PIC when you only use a few IO lines.

I can recommend the PIC18F14K22, nice and cheap but with plenty of power. The only thing I'd say is to check the forum as the options you need to set at the start of the compiler to get it working are slightly complex.

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:40 am

Why use 8 bits when you can have 32?
ARM CORTEX Rules!!! :D :D :D