SD FILE SYSTEM - NEW OPTIONS???

Coding and general discussion relating to user created compiler modules

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

ohararp

SD FILE SYSTEM - NEW OPTIONS???

Post by ohararp » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Steven,

Can you discuss some of the differences between the PDS version and the SF version of your SD_FILE_SYSTEM?

I am still getting a few customers with issues in regards to "off-brand" SD cards. I have had no trouble with SanDisk cards in my testing. Obviously, a customer base will open things up to more testing and may find some issues not otherwise found.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

mister_e

Post by mister_e » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 pm

It happened to me bunch of time with with some of my customer 'till now. It's something i DON'T support. They're aware that they MUST use SD compliant card, unless the warranty is void forever. Some of those $%$% card may even damage your product...

Have a look at the following....
http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI. ... obj(28365)

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:40 pm

mister_e...I am going to put this disclaimer on my website and not take any refunds. I got burned on this by a couple of customers. Unit wasn't damaged but they reported problems. I check everyone of the units that I ship with cards that "work" and are SD compliant. Thanks for the insight and the link.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:45 pm

Ryan,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here's a brief run down on the differences I remember implementing:

(i) corrected the calculation of the size of the disk and the free space; PDS version over-estimates both of these slightly

(ii) added support for sub-directories

However, I did change (and slightly simplify) the way I handled some of the core coding, so it is entirely possible changes have crept in here. In addition, although it works for the SD cards I have tested, I do initialise them with the MMC routine and not with the official SD routine. Now whilst this works for all those I've tried, which is quite a number, it is possible that some SD cards do not like this. It may be worth you/me looking at this in more detail.

When I get chance, I could look at the code for this and try to get my head around the deocummented SD specific initialisation routine. It might be worth a shot. Is there any way that you could get your hands on one of the cards that does not work, or exact specs so that I get get hold of one myself?

It may be the problem described above, but I'm quite willing to accept that there is an error in the library still and it would be good to track down.

Regards,

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Kingston 1gb
Sandisk 512mb
Canon 512mb (came with my camera)

These were the cards used by a customer who had "issues". I personally have not had any problems with the stock of 5 or 6 cards that I own. The issues may be arising from the way power is controlled to the pic. I may have to add a super cap to allow for proper shutting down of the sd card when power is lost.

Again, I have not had an issue but a couple of customers have reported corruption of their files.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

rubenpena

SD and MMC types.

Post by rubenpena » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Steven:
I have two versions of "my" wav_player. The first uses your library in Proton
Basic, and the other uses the Swordfish Basic.
I was able to add 16 button selection to the files and Serial input to play any
file in the card. But that was in Proton. It works OK,but only handles the half
of the types tested.Even I have SD 64Mb from Kodak thet works OK,but the SD 64Mb from Sandisk do not works at all.
Your wav_player in Swordfish handles ALL the cards I try,MMC and SD,from 32Mb to 1 G. but I fail to get the button inputs and the serial input working.
So.. do you have in mind to actualize the Proton Library..?
Thanks in advance...
Ruben de la Pena

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:54 am

In PDS I solved most of my instability issues by declaring:

Code: Select all

Response = SD_Init_FS
This is the slowest read/wrte option but is the most reliable. In fact, it is rock solid.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:20 pm

Ruben,

In translating the PDS version of the SD library to work with Swordfish, I went to great lengths to tighten up its error handling routines and the end result is hopefully a more stable library. I am currently in the middle of adding some extra functionality to both libraries, but will not be adding all of the extra error handling to the PDS version. Ryan's suggestion may well help - I'd guess that it is the case that some of your cards do not initialise fast enough before timeout.
Alternatively, could the forum help get the buttons/serial input working in Swordfish? Could you post any code?

Steve