Golf Pro by Steven

Coding and general discussion relating to user created compiler modules

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

ohararp

Golf Pro by Steven

Post by ohararp » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Steven,

I was just wondering how things were coming on your golf pro project? The large glcd menu you have posted looks awesome (http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki ... r.S1D13700).

Additionally have you had any luck with the sarantel antennas for the ET-301? I am getting ready to layout some proto boards for this antenna and wanted to see how things were coming.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:13 pm

Ryan,

I've got as far as maching the box for the display and the antenna, but have not developed the PCBs yet. I'll have to mount the antenna and GPS unit in the final box before soldering it, as my design will not allow installation after this. It's probably not the best method, but I hope to get away with it. My plan is to put the antenna and GPS unit on a separate PCB from the rest and connect with jumpers. It should not be too long before I do this and get some results one way or the other. I'll pass on my findings then. The finished box looks very good with the stub antenna.

The large 320 x 240 displays (this one with touchscreen aswell) open up all sorts of possibilities and are very easy to work with.

How are your projects going lately?

Regards,

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Steven, the ET301 is operating very well! I just got in new pcb's with the proper pinout to a microsd card (read the data sheet wrong the first time). I have not tried the sarantel antenna yet. I have used the magnetic mount v-torch from SFE with good success thus far. If you have a choice it seems that for gps you want to use an active antenna. It requires 15-20 mA more current to do this. I have added a FET to turn off the main power to the antenna and ET-301 while providing a direct connection to the battery for ephermis data retention. This way I get a nice strong signal without wasting any battery life.

I also have a solar panel breakout board up and running. Check the bolog at the website below for details and pics.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:33 pm

It's good to hear that the GPS unit is working well. The antenna I have is a passive one - I fear that it might not give good enough reception. Still, I'll try it and let you know.

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 pm

So Steven, I got the sarantel active antenna working. Originally, I thought that it wouldn't work but it was the crummy copernicus gps module that I was using. With the ET-301 it works great! I am going to try out the passive antenna tonight if I get a chance.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 pm

That's very good news. Thanks Ryan. I would be interested to know how the passive antenna works also.

Regards,

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:34 am

Steven I didn't have any luck with the sarantel passive antenna. Sorry.
Best results were with the v-torch antenna with a black plastic housing and magnetic base from SFE. I was consistently able to get 8-11 satellites. The active sarantel got 5-8. Keep me posted if you get that passive antenna running!
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 am

OK, that's a pity, but perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised. I'll get my unit hooked up soon and let you know how I get on - it looks like I'll have to get an active antenna!

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:02 pm

Steven,

I might make a little sarantel breakout pcb for the active antennas. The $80 that Jim Gray is charging is ridiculous. If I make these I will send a couple in the mail for you. It'll save you $30-$40.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks Ryan - that's very kind!

Steven

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Steven, I made some adapter boards but I got the pads all messed up. Check the website at www.ohararp.com/blog to see the latest little logger (MicroSD with active sarantel antenna).

Any luck on this project lately?
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Ryan,

Some progress - I've got a design for a PCB for the GPS unit and antenna done and had a go at prototyping one, but am not very impressed with my results. It needs another go. Then I'll be able to hook it up and test the passive antenna. Your micro logger looks excellent. You have done well to squash it down to this size.

Steven