SPI Graphics LCD driver

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

TimB

SPI Graphics LCD driver

Post by TimB » Mon May 05, 2008 5:21 pm

I have to write to a GLCD over a distance of about 2'. Also do not want to use to many pins on my PLC board so I purchased the SPI driven GLCD board from MIcroE

SF is ideal as I can rewrite the GLCD code to send the pin data directly via SPI to the GLCD expander board.

Now before I embark on it I have to ask has any one else done it yet?

Or if I put up with the lost pins how far can I go with a ribbon cable?

octal

Post by octal » Tue May 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Tim,
read http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578

I'm in vacations and I do not have access to my computer. I can send you everything once I'll be back at home next monday.
I have a working GLCD lib via MikroE spi module for the KS0108 driver.

ps. I do not have even access to my mails, so I can not answer. I'll be back at home on Sunday by night. Hope it's not too late for you.
TimB wrote:
Or if I put up with the lost pins how far can I go with a ribbon cable?
If you do not use SPI you can use a simple ribbon cable. Personnaly when I worked on the GLCD Module for the KS0108 with three CS pins (module is on the wiki), I used a flat ribbon cable (I reused a PC HDD cable) of about 4" without any pb. I think that with a lower quality cable you can still go up to 2 or 3" if you do not send too much data quickly.

Regards
octal

TimB

Post by TimB » Tue May 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Octal

I will wait until Sunday

The data through put is not really great just some text and a graphic that changes on a key input.

Pretty small graphic around 40x40 pixels

As for the ribbon cable I need 1' to 2' which is 12-24 inches, so I doubt it will work.

Its a quick job so I might even get a read made module with pic on board.

CS

Post by CS » Mon May 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi TimB,

I have build my own SPI-Driver like the one from MicroE. The distance between the display (incl. the SPI driver) and the main pcb are round about 2m. Works verry well.

Good luck

CS

rmteo

1-wire Serial Graphic LCD

Post by rmteo » Tue May 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Here is a pic of my serial (one-wire) graphic LCD on an EP4 dev board:

It does everything that the on-board graphic LCD will do plus the following:

1. Requires only one port pin (plus 5V and GND connections) instead of 14 pins (use hardware OR software USART).
2. Communicates using RS-232 at 9600-115200 baud (TTL or true RS232 levels).
3. Fully adjustable backlight, 255 brightness levels.
4. Can draw dots, lines, boxes, rectangles, circles, and ellipses.

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed May 14, 2008 1:45 am

Any chance you can share a schematic?
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:03 am

It is based on a PIC18F and is laid out on a 1in. x 2in. PCB. There isn't really a whole lot to the schematic - it is mostly in the firmware. The description below should give you a good idea.

Commands are short and simple, eg. to clear the screen requires a single byte. To draw a rectangle, a sequence of 5 bytes is required - the first byte indicates that it is a rectangle, followed by 4 bytes indicating the top left corner (x1,y1) and the bottom right corner (x2,y2). This is about the longest command sequence - all others are 4 bytes or less. Strings (up to 40 characters at a time) are sent out with a single terminating byte. The controller handles line wrapping etc. To set the backlight, a control byte followed by a value of 0-255 will set the backllight brightness from full OFF to full ON. The value of the brightness (plus a few other parameters) is stored in EEPROM so it is retained on power down.

The longest cable I have used is about 2ft. (60cm.). It allows a graphic LCD to be added to just about any MCU application - including 8-pin devices and those with small amounts of FLASH. Great for evaluating compilers and yet have graphics capabilities. :D

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed May 14, 2008 2:46 am

I guess a better question would have been...
"How are you controlling the screen brightness on this module?"
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 am

I am using the hardware PWM module to switch a BJT (you could also use a MOSFET) to control screen brightness.

TimB

Post by TimB » Wed May 14, 2008 7:36 am

rmteo

Not heard from octal, so am having to look else were. Are you selling one of those boards. Its just what I want.

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Tim, I do have some quantity available. Do you need just the add-on board or the complete display? PM for details.