Effect of online updates to modified System Modules

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

SteveB

Effect of online updates to modified System Modules

Post by SteveB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:32 am

I did a little searching but couldn't find an answer, although I thought I remembered this being addressed before. Anyway, if I modify a system module (for example, change the defaults for the LCD module), will a subsequent update wipe out my changes? If so, is there anyway to avoid this?

I guess I could make an "LCD_Custom" module, and use that to aviod the problem if needed.

SteveB

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:55 am

Put a copy in the UserLibrary folder without changing the name - the compiler will find this one first. Change the defaults in this copy. However, if the main library is updated, you will have to manually update your copy.

Alternatively, why not create your own module with all the #options you need for a development board and include this at the top of your code.

Steven

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:50 am

Steven is correct. Just copy the module (for example, LCD.bas) into the UserLibrary folder. When you include "lcd.bas" at the top of your program, the compiler will use the one found in 'UserLibrary' rather than 'Library'. This way, you can modify as much as you want - but still have the master version.

Online updates may update files found in 'Library' and there is no way to prevent this.

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:57 am

Thanks to both of you. I know I had seen exactly this info somewhere else, but couldn't find it, nor could I remember it at the time.

SteveB