How To Read HID Report?

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

itheo92

How To Read HID Report?

Post by itheo92 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:02 am

Hi, this is my first post to this forum after using swordfish for more than two years.

I'm using the HID module. I can send a number of bytes through WriteArray()
and read it back through a host application compiled in VB.Net. Just for an example:

Code: Select all

For Sample_C = 0 To 63
                           outData(Sample_C) = 0
                       Next

outData(1) = 1
                       outData(2) = 5
                       outData(3) = 10
                       outData(4) = 15
                       outData(5) = 0
                       outData(6) = 30
                       outData(7) = 100
                       outData(8) = 199
                       outData(9) = 215
                       outData(10)= 1

WriteArray(outData)
The Host code snippet:

For count = 0 To BufferInSize
                txtDataIn.Text = txtDataIn.Text & (BufferIn(count)) & ""
            Next 
BufferInSize is a array if 64 bytes. The output is:

But it's not a good way to send some word or strings, I want to send some floating point (or integer) data. How to read This report? Sending report is easy:

txreport.vdata = 1000    'Vdata as integer
                       txreport.idata = 1500    'Idata too as integr
                       writereport
In the same host code I'm getting:

023232205247126510825410959142255199185251223792556125525562193211230255190237115213250127239124223108246452438785183233731022132295239216171932235159255108227239236185252247

gramo

Post by gramo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 am

Slave to Host is not much of an issue for objects larger than byte size, I've found it takes some sideways thinking on the other end to "rebuild" the objects.

dmtulsa at Digital DIY has made a very handy DLL which can be used in Visual Studio to help break the 8-bit wall http://digital-diy.com/forum/visual-bas ... t1067.html

Some of his notes in the topic:
Two bytes too one integer

Declare Function Bytes1Int Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "BYTES1INT" (lb As Byte, hb As Byte) As Integer

Purpose: Take two bytes and combine to produce a single signed 16-bit value.

Two bytes too one Long

Declare Function Byte1Lng Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "BYTE1LNG" (lb As Byte, hb As Byte) As Long

Purpose: Take two bytes and combine to produce a single unsigned 16-bit value. In VB there are no unsigned integers (WORDS) so a long integer is returned.

Get the High byte of an integer

Declare Function InthByte Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "INTHBYTE" (value As Integer) As Byte

Purpose Extract the most significant (high-order) byte from an Integer or Word value, and return it as an unsigned Byte value.

Get the Low byte of an integer

Declare Function IntLByte Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "INTLBYTE" (value As Integer) As Byte

Purpose Extract the least significant (low-order) byte from an Integer or Word value, and return it as an unsigned Byte value.

Get the High integer form a long

Declare Function lng2Hint Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "LNG2HINT" (value As Long) As Integer

Purpose Extract the most significant (high-order) integer from a Long-integer value, and return it as a signed Integer value.

Get the Low integer form a long

Declare Function lng2Lint Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "LNG2LINT" (value As Long) As Integer

Purpose Extract the least significant (low-order) integer from a Long-integer value, and return it as a signed Integer value.

Two integers too long

Declare Function Makelong Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "MAKELONG" (lint As long, hint As long) As Long

Purpose Take the low-order 16-bits from each of two integer-class variables and combine to produce a single 32-bit value.

Long too Binary string

'Declare Function retBin Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "RETBIN" (ByRef val As Long, digits As Integer) As String

Purpose Return a string that is the binary (base 2) representation of its argument.

Remarks numeric_expression must be in the range -2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,647. Any fractional part of numeric_expression is rounded before the string is created. If digits is specified, then the resulting string will be of length digits. If the resulting string is longer than digits, the result will be truncated from the left as needed. If the resulting string is shorter than digits, then leading zeros will be added to the left to make the final string digits long.

Get bit value form any position in a integer

Declare Function GetBit Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "GETBIT" (val As Integer, pos As Integer) As Integer

Pos is the position of the bit 0-15

Purpose Return the value of a particular bit in an integer-class variable.

Set bit value form any position in a integer (makes bit a 1)

Declare Function SetBit Lib "picdll.DLL" Alias "SETBIT" (val As Integer, pos As Integer) As Integer

Pos is the position of the bit 0-15

Purpose Manipulate individual bits of an integer-class variable (or in an implied bit-array), for storing values such as TRUE/FALSE (flag) settings quickly and efficiently.
digital-diy.com - Hobby microcontroller projects and tutorials. Assembly, PICBasic and C examples.

Australian distributor for the Swordfish Compiler

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am

That dll makes a lot of assumptions.

The problem with transferring anything but single 8-bit unsigned bytes between two systems is that the data representation may not be the same on both ends, and it's machine and language dependant.

What's an 'integer' on your host system? 16 bits? 32 bits? Is it stored little-endian or big-endian?

Floating point is even worse. I doubt that you'll ever get the two ends to match up directly without a lot of bit manipulation.

If you want both end to agree, send the data in a format-neutral form, such as ASCII text with delimiters between the fields. It's a lot more work on both sides, but it usually always works.

itheo92

Post by itheo92 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks. I'll try it and let you know the results.

And I really dont know how many times I did thanked digital-diy, formerly Spency's PICBasic, I learned PIC Programming from it through Copy-Paste, then Copy-Improve-Paste and now I can write my own codes. This is my research project on blackbody radiation. I'll post details of it at the end.

In host system, int32 is 32 bit signed 'integer' data type. int16 and Uint (unsigned) is also available.

itheo92

Post by itheo92 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 am

The dll files are not so necessary. VB has a very handy and useful function for it. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... int16.aspx

I'm using it and it works perfectly.