USB Keyboard emulation

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

simonf

USB Keyboard emulation

Post by simonf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Some background,

Ive been tottering round the house for a year or so and decided to have a play with microcontrollers. The last time I had a play at this level was 27 years ago in 6502 assembler. Any how I bought a project kit of ebay (sure electronics) i also bought some graphic LCDs. I searched the net to find a programming language and found sword fish of which i was very impressed. After only a week i managed to write a central heating timer with lcd graphic display and an i2c thermometer.

I have been designing a touch screen software jukebox which has been working well (started as a home/garage project). I have put a coin mech in the unit and use an i-pac to convert pulses from the mech to keypresses. The I-pacs cost £30 or so, I figured that using an 18f2550 would be much cheaper as i only need to convert eight pulsed lines int individual keypreses "1"."2"......"8". I thought of using a serial port but the pc board i use to do the juke box dosn't have a RS232 Port.

What I want to know has anyone managed to emulate a usb keyboard using swordfish? If not a simple routine to convert a pulse into characters in a virtual USB Com port. (This may be the better idea as at a later date I may want the pc to talk back to a digital potentiometers through I2C to adjust volume controls for different Zones)

SimonF