Removing failed compilation results

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

SHughes_Fusion

Removing failed compilation results

Post by SHughes_Fusion » Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 am

I'm sure we've all done it - unintentionally pressed F9 while viewing a library or a header file rather than your main program. Of course, as these aren't fully formed programs they don't compile and you end up with a string of error messages.

While this isn't a major issue, is there any way to prevent this, or to remove the compilation errors? I know it is possible to close the warning 'window' but it would be better to delete the messages completely. Can I just delete one of the files the compiler generates? I don't want to do this unless I know what I'm doing though...

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: Removing failed compilation results

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed May 07, 2014 9:55 am

Delete the 'modulename.sfp' file

When you have a lot of files in a project you can set the IDE so that it'll only compile your main module if you like.
To do this, open your main .bas file and double-click in the module title bar at the top of the editor window. The title bar will change from just the file name to "The program xxxxx is the compiler build root file".

SHughes_Fusion

Post by SHughes_Fusion » Wed May 07, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks, Jerry, just what I need. Such a shame that there doesn't seem to be a central place to go to find tips such as these - Swordfish has so many options and powerful features that aren't obvious from reading the help file.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 am

Hang around long enough and I'm sure you'll find them all!

I should clarify... if you set the compiler build root file then when you press F9 it'll switch focus to your main project file and THEN compile.

For all of your "library" files the only thing you need is the .bas file, so you can delete everything else but the files generated for your main project file. If you're getting a bunch of .scl files, you can turn that off in the 'View | Compile and Program Options' dialog box (that one IS in the help).