Win7 and XP problems - SFC locks and the other errors

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

bilinkl

Win7 and XP problems - SFC locks and the other errors

Post by bilinkl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:33 am

Hi All,
I have a Win7 machine but haven't run SFC for many months. Went to use it yesterday and the IDE opened then immediately dropped out every attempt.

Might be a Win problem requiring a reinstall so attempted the swordfish-si.exe - PC locks up. After rebooting looked up the Forum and see David's advice about clearing the TEMP directory - successfully cleared any "setup" files but a bunch of other stuff remains which I was denied access to deleting. Tried the install again, same result of lockup.

Tried the oldest restore point I had but same result. Ran a virus checker overnight but nothing found.

What's next to try before I reinstall Win7 please?

and...

Tried an XP laptop which did not have SFC intalled on before. Fully erased the c:\Windows\Temp directory and ran the installer. The normal Setup box opened and I pasted my key into it - half a second later I'm greeted with "Setup - Error (10035) and "An error has occurred. Unable to download installation file to host machine." I have internet access on the same machine.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bill

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Re: Win7 and XP problems - SFC locks and the other errors

Post by David Barker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 am

I have run SF on win7 64 bit for some time without problems. If the IDE dropped out at every attempt I suspect it may be a graphics driver problem with your setup. You could try and change the rendering engine Swordfish uses by creating a registry key called "Render"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecaniqueUK\Render

create a new (integer) entry called "AlphaEngine" and set its value to 0 - so the key looks like

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecaniqueUK\Render\AlphaEngine = 0

When you restart the IDE "MMX DISABLED" will be displayed on the 5th panel of the IDE status bar.

> Tried an XP laptop which did not have SFC intalled on before. Fully erased the c:\Windows\Temp directory and
> ran the installer. The normal Setup box opened and I pasted my key into it - half a second later I'm greeted with "Setup -
> Error (10035) and "An error has occurred. Unable to download installation file to host machine."

Just tried the connection and it works here. Assuming you have no proxy or firewall settings preventing access I would try again.

bilinkl

Re: Win7 and XP problems - SFC locks and the other errors

Post by bilinkl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the help. I made the change but it didn't make any difference... I persisted with repeated attempts and finally managed to see the IDE open for a short time.

Time enough to see a background shadow of my virus protection! Disabling this for 10 minutes allowed a normal open during which the program successfully updated to the latest version. I checked all was good then closed and rebooted.

When finished booting I could not open the SFC IDE again but this time was greeted with "Swordfish is unable to open - update security key is missing". I deleted the Setup.exe as before and then successfully did the install again, it's all good.

With the XP machine the firewall isn't stopping progress as it is open and I don't see any warning messages. It shares the same wireless network as the Win7 machine which quickly did the update a few minutes before... Same error as before continues. While I now don't need SFC on this laptop I'm at a loss to understand why it won't install still...

Cheers,
Bill