usb port

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

plaressa

usb port

Post by plaressa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:20 am

How to find out the output power of USB port? Hi all. When i connect my iPod to USB port it says "Insufficient Power", even if i keep it for hours and doesn't get charged at all. My computer is now 7 years old. I guess there could be some trouble in the output power of my USB port. Please let me know what to do.
Last edited by plaressa on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 am

I would say contact apple.
Running version 2.2.4.0 ICC 1.2.1.0
Regards CharlieM

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 pm

1st - (And most importantly!) Why are you posting this question in the 'compiler' portion of this particular forum? Did you perhaps become lost on the way to yahoo answers?

2nd - USB pushes 5 to 6 volts. What you need to know is the available amperage than with available voltage, as the voltage specification for USB ports has remained fairly constant over the years. A USB controller which is following the spec is supposed to cut-off a device which is drawing too much power. If your USB host (computer) is USB 1.1, for example, and has decided your iPod is drawing too much power, then the only power your iPod is getting is 'presence' power--which is to say practically none.

My advice, find a 'wall wart' which features a female USB-A socket (the common rectangle type your computer has) and plug it into the wall, then connect your iPod's USB cable to it.

Of course, you should take some troubleshooting steps to be certain your iPod is capable of charging. If there is something wrong with the battery or the charging circuitry then there may be nothing wrong with your computer.
Surviving Member
Bermuda Triangle Battalion
from 2026 to 1992

Voted "Most likely to time travel"--Class of 2024.