Compiler updates?

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

blackcattech

Compiler updates?

Post by blackcattech » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

Are there any 'insiders' here who can comment on whether updates for Swordfish are imminent? It seems a long time since the last version and support for the new K series seems limited, especially for the newer chips.

I've reached the stage where I have developed a prototype in Swordfish but am concerned about the long-term as the last 'Announcement' on the forum was nearly two years ago now! I don't want to pay for a complier and then get no support and have to end up working around bugs - I've had enough of that with the BKND compiler for the PIC16s...

Francis

Post by Francis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 am

Yes, a little keep-everyone-informed posting would be nice.

No doubt someone will post this link ...
http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1155
.. so I'll do it first :)

Preamble... SF is great etc. ... but it must put potential buyers off when they read things like this.

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 pm

I've seen that topic but again it's not been updated for a while - 4 months ago we were told in effect things would start moving soon. Even Steven doesn't seem to post here much - I posted a question on one of his modules and it never got answered.

My customer is pushing me to buy the full package so I can progress development. I now have the dilemma do I warn him about the concerns over support for Swordfish or do I just go ahead and keep my fingers crossed...

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:25 am

First, appolgies for not picking up the post in question - have you managed to sort the touchscreen yet or could I still contribute usefully to the thread. I understand the concern regarding lack of support or ongoing development - I share these concerns. I'll get back in touch with Dave and see if I can get an update. Hopefully this might help you make a decision one way or another.

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for the reply, Steven.

I've not done anything yet to optimise the touch-screen. Using the standard 10k resistors you suggest on your reference design the touch screen is responsive but the accuracy of positioning is poor. Most especially if you do a simple routine to plot a pixel where the touch registers this results in a 'spatter' of points in about an 8-10 pixel radius.

I assume this is as you are in effect creating a potential divider and the resistance of the touch screen is fairly low the range of ADC counts is also low so any ADC noise will affect the reading accuracy. However, when I tried reducing the 10k resistors I lost responsivity from the screen. I did drop the resistors quite a bit (2.2k I think) but without direction as to how best to calculate the resistor I didn't want to start changing values at random. I'm not 100% on how the touch panels work either - I think it is just resistance change when you press the layers together but I'm not sure.

I'm not actually using the panel you based your design on as the cost is too high for my customer.

Also, any responses from David would be appreciated - I understand that projects can get sidelined for a while but this is getting to the point where it is going to be a massive effort for him to pick up the loose ends again and just work out what his code does before he can even start updating things, assuming he hasn't touched Swordfish in the meanwhile of course!

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 am

It may be something to do with T/S quality too.
I used a cheapo from MikroElektronika and included a bit of averaging and got fairly good results - but the occasional glitch.
On the whole it was pretty good and was able to scribble on the screen as long as I didn't do it too fast.

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi - I've replied about the touchscreen on the original thread - http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1211.

Hope it helps.