Serial USB adapter

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Gabriel Febres

Serial USB adapter

Post by Gabriel Febres » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:18 am

I have Swordfish SE running in an old laptop, which has a serial port, I an running some tests, to evaluate, before we buy Swordfish (we have PBP but like Swordfish better). It is all fine with the serial port, but when I use a new laptop, running Vista, and a USB to serial adapter, the Swordfish IDE locks on COM 11, and can not communicate with the PIC. I can configure the serial communicator included in the Swordfish IDE to select COM3, and it works (connects and I can send and receive from the PIC) but I do not know how to change the COM port in the Loader, it selects COM11 by itself and can not connect to the PIC. I know I can do this with a COM port mapper, but I would like to do this within Swordfish, is it possible?

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 am

Select VIEW...LOADER from the IDE main menu. This will show the loader main screen, allowing you to change the COM number. Note that if your USB cable is not connected, the loader will default to the next available COM port.

Gabriel Febres

Post by Gabriel Febres » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks David, I did that but the only COM port available to select is COM11.
It seems it is a Vista or Serial adapter problem, the adapter is really connected to COM11, that is why the IDE selects that port. But at the same time it seems there is a baud rate problem, I say this because using the serial communicator, I select COM11 and 19200, as the serial adapter is configured, and it misses characters (I am running Echo, one of the sample programs in the 18F4550), but for some reason I do not understand yet, if I select COM3 as the port in the serial communicator; it works, Echo sends each character I send, even a large string. But I can not select COM3 from the Loader. I installed a port mapper, and mapped a port (COM33) to be directed to COM3, the Loader now allowed me to select COM33, but still it does not communicate with the PIC. So It seems until I find out why COM3 works for the serial communicator (the serial adapter is installed in COM11) I will not be able to solve this. In any case this is not a SF issue. Thanks for your help.