Does anyone used subversion? if not why not?

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

richardb

Does anyone used subversion? if not why not?

Post by richardb » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:58 am

I've recently been put onto subversion using tortoise http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

It's a free software versioning tool, tortoise is the windows shell extension so it all works in explorer via right click. files that are the same as the store are green and ones with differences are red.

I've even imported swordfish into my software store so i can see what files have changed on a version update, and it means my libs are backed up. Its also got a nice difference viewer built in.
Hmmm..

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:50 am

I also use Subversion, and have been for about 2 years now. I chose it because it integrates quite nicely into the Windows menu and runs in UNIX. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the terminology of a versioning system and how it works, it really helps keep everything organized and safe.

richardb

Post by richardb » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi RadioT, I agree but i think its very simple to use with tortoise in windows. I just love the fact that you can look back and do a diff between a current file and one from 6 months ago, without even checking code out or copying files.

What do you other guy's use? do you have other similar tools or do you copy/backup your sourcecode folders?

Richard-just interested.
Hmmm..