IDE FineLine Viewer

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

normnet

IDE FineLine Viewer

Post by normnet » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:46 am

IDE FineLine Viewer v1.0 README

9-6-07
By Norm Carlberg

Fineline Viewer will open a .bas file (basic code) and draw lines between If-Endif, For-Next, Repeat-Until, & While-Wend.
This enables easier debugging of nested code.

INSTALLATION:
FineLine is a single file install (no registry entries) with one txt file created in same location to save the "Last Modified Folder", last open position and size.
Install on desktop, Cut, copy, paste or delete.

USE:
Enter text into FineLine by one of the three following ways:
1. Paste

2. Press "Browse to File + Fineline" button.

3. Press "Browse to Folder" to select the folder in which to find the last modified .bas file.
This could be drive "C" or could be "MyCode" folder.
Press "Find LastModified File in Folder + Fineline". (searches all subfolders)

The third option is fastest because it only requires saving your basic code before switching to FineLine window and pressing the "Find LastModified File in Folder + Fineline" button. Easy to switch between your IDE and FineLine.

Credit roswell_r of REAL Software Forums for the fast search of folder for last modified .bas file.
Norm completed with search of subfolders.

TIPS:
1. If lines disappear due to 2nd window temporally in front of FineLine: Exit mouse from FineLine and re-enter.

2. When editing in FineLine save and switch back to Swordfish IDE. Swordfish will have prompted the following to update: The date or time stamp for C:\MyFile.bas has changed. Reload? Click OK
In editor options check the "Prompt if file reload required".

When editing in Swordfish IDE save and switch to FineLine and press "Find LastModified File in Folder + Fineline" button to reopen.

3.Use PageUp & PageDown, and arrow keys for faster scroll's.

4.FineLine is resizable.
If interest, additional terms could be added:
Function, End Function
Sub, End Sub
Event, End Event
Interrupt, End Interrupt
With, End With

FineLine download site is Proton forum but FineLine is written for both Proton and Swordfish as well as others.

Present download is post #13.
download FineLine Viewer

Norm

octal

Post by octal » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Good Idea, and good tool. Thank you for sharing.
I may suggest to you to try to rework a bit your drawing strategy to make it a bit faster. I loaded the USBSystem.bas file (big file) and it takes a somewhat long time to draw vertical lines. I do not know if its a speed issue or if the utility do intentionnally wait some milliseconds after any scoll operation to draw vertical lines.

I hope that David will take (find ;) ) time to add code folding to sf editor. This could be helpful. I think sincerly that this kind of stuff should be integrated to the IDE.
Long time ago I suggested (on another forum) the integration of the command line version under Eclipse, this makes adding goodies like Code Folding very easy to implement. But I have been discouraged by the attitude of users. Either they want everything for free, or they are not at all interrested in such project.

Regards
Octal

TimB

Post by TimB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Hey don't distract Dave from the Coff file job. When he has the interim debug file working I aim to see about getting my P-ICD converted to work with SF (properly)

normnet

Post by normnet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Improvements can be made.
Presently porting to Delphi.
Could someday draw on an overlay over SF IDE.

Norm

octal

Post by octal » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:17 am

TimB wrote:Hey don't distract Dave from the Coff file job. When he has the interim debug file working I aim to see about getting my P-ICD converted to work with SF (properly)
Hehe ... :o Tim,
I personnaly also want him to finish the COF file for debug. It would be really fine if we can got your debugger P-ICD working for SF. Really nice.

Regards
octal

normnet

Post by normnet » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:00 am

Bug corrected.
A label preceding a keyword caused error.

Scroll down page to download most recent version at FineLine Viewer 1.1

Norm

octal

Post by octal » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 am

Painting is by far quicker than before.
You should think at using the Plugin API and make it as a plugin: a plugin for navigation in code structure. You could for example, instead of loading entire file, just load the selected part of text in SF or Proton IDE, and show it in your plugin. This will be nice because users will be able to select only a procedure or function and see it in the viewer to quickly debug it !

Regards
octal

TimB

Post by TimB » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm with you on this Octal the ability to fine line a section would be very handy and more of use to me.

normnet

Post by normnet » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:10 am

A Delphi written plugin version is well under way.

I have a plugin getting the IDE file name, text, first visible line number, and number of visible lines.

Also can locate and draw a line around perimeter of IDE edit area on an clear overlay.

This means that with a mouse click, program should be capable of drawing Finelines in Proton and Swordfish IDE.
Need to continue porting the match and draw sections to Delphi.

Unposted Delphi search section of program runs much faster than RealBasic: 3sec vs 16sec for a 3,000 line program.

Hadn't thought of a popup window of selected IDE text. The finelines would be instant.
Maybe a right click to display & Fineline selected text.

Haven't tested if Fineline would match terms correctly if selected text was missing a matching term.

With fineline capability a future possibility would be drawing + or - at each first term for code collapse.

Norm

normnet

Post by normnet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:33 am

See IDE FineLine Viewer for new v1.3

10x faster search and match.

Browse down to be certain of downloading the latest version.

Norm