New GLCD Font Creator [POLL]

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Would you pay for a GLCD Font Creator ?

I want a GLCD Font Creator and would pay for it
50%
I want a GLCD Font Creator but expect it to be free
42%
I would not use it
8%

Total votes: 12

octal

New GLCD Font Creator [POLL]

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi every body.
I have nearly finished writing a new GLCD Font Creator. It can work as standalone application or as IDE plugin.
as a standalone application, it can export created fonts for :

1- Swordfish Basic
2- Other compilers from the market.

Fonts can be created from scratch or by importing an existing windows font.
Operation that can be done on fonts are:
- Editing chars
- Inverting chars
- Outlining chars
- Shifting chars
- Exporting fonts as FIXED width or VARIABLE width chars

To let you see it in action (I'll update the demo to let you see all possibilities, the version you will see is a bit old), you can go to :

http://www.pocketmt.com/glcd2/glcd.htm

This software will evolve to add more features such as a GLCD bitmap editor. All upgrades will be free of charge (if the software is sold).

Would you pay for such software?

Please vote on this Poll and tell us how much would you expect it to cost?

Octal
Last edited by octal on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CS

Post by CS » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi octal,

I'm glad to hear that you're on the way to finish the App. Of course I would pay, but the question how much I would pay I can't answer! It is difficult to say the right words! When I say I would pay 10 EURO maybe you would say that's not enough. Let us know how much it will cost!

When will we get an release?

Thanks in advance

Christian

octal

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:48 pm

It will be release in about 2 or 3 days.
What I want is to know how much it can be usefull for people ?
The Swordfish plugin will be FREE as I stated in my first original post.

There will be a plugin version for another compiler that shares the same IDE as Swordfish (developed also by Dave). This version will be for some money.

The application version that can export to other compiler and let you define a custom export strategy will be a standalone application. This one will cost some money but I do not know how much it will be sold. I want to know how much anybody can spend in such utility?

Regards
Octal

CS

Post by CS » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi,

the App is very interesting for me! That's the reason why I would pay for it! But I have to admit, that I not only use SF so it would be nice to use the App also in other Compilers. (Not the one wich was also developed by Dave!)

So it depends on how much it will cost? Is the price ok then I'll use it as a stand alone App. Is the price to high I will not use the stand alone App. I can't tell you how much I can spend because I think it is your App and you have spend a lot of time for developing. Make a fair price and you'll have a lot fans for this App. !

Thanks in advance

Christian

octal

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Sincerly I have seen an ugly and stupid application that does half of what my actual app does for a price of about $120 US. An I of course think that this is a very high price since font creation is not the primary job of embedded software developers.

What I was proposed to me from some friends that tested the software is to make various versions:

1- The Swordfish plugin will be FREE
2- The plugin for the other editor/compiler from Mecanique(tm) for about 10 euros. This plugin can also work as standalone application and can export to various other compilers
3- The App version that can export to various other compilers.
4- a Professionnal edition that can let you define the customizable exporting strategy and define everything (vars names, declaration, ....) for a price of 18 euros.

So, in summary:

SF Plugin : Free
Plugin+standalone app for about 5 compilers: 10 euros
Proefessional Edition: 18 euros.

This prices are of course only an indication and I think that they are not so expensive. I need to hear from interrested peoples. If you have other estimations I'll be happy to hear from you.

Developing this font editor has been a lot of work, and I'll continue to do a lot of work if I receive the necessary support.
What is planned for future versions (updates will be free):
- A True GLCD Editor : so you can tile any chars to be able to create logos using multiple chars
- Adding a BMP converter so that the editor will become a true RESOURCES editor for embedded systems (this will be nice with SWordfish graphics libs)
- Partial Selection handling when editing chars
- Drawing toolbox to let users draw Circles, Lines, rectangles and other primitives
- More other features...

PS. MESSAGE TO DAVID: Sorry David, if you see that my poll is becoming an advertisement (or commercial conversation) I can (and you are invited to) delete it.

Regards
Octal

CS

Post by CS » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi,

ok, $120 US is much more then I would pay for such an App. Back to your App I don't want to getting on your nerves but the Version 2 and 3 are nearly the same, aren't they! But anyway when the App does that what I want then of course I would pay the 18 EURO. That would be especially for the things that this App will offer me in the near future.

Best wishes

Christian

P.S.: In my eyes it is confusing that there where so many versions for such a App.! If possible reduce the versions.

octal

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm

"Back to your App I don't want to getting on your nerves " ...
Nothing can hurt me ... do not worry :wink:
Version 3 is not the same as other versions because of the custom strategy filter.
This filter is the biggest difference. it allows users to :
1- select the scanning direction
2- Exorted Data size 4bits, 8bits, 16bits, 32bits
3- choose BigIndian or Little Indian representation
4- choose to pack data
5- choose to scan vertically, all first row of data ... second row of data ...

and in the near future :
you will be able to position using mouse all your bytes and bits directly on the drawing matrix, this will let you do absolutely what you want at export time, you can even have ovelaped bytes or words if you need that :o

This is why I wrote this poll, to know if people wants such multiple version, or if they only want ONE VERSION at a certain Price they propose.

Regards

CS

Post by CS » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks again for the detailed information! For me the App is interessting and I can't wait until I have it!

I'm looking forward to the near future!

Reguards

Christian

TimB

Post by TimB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Just to add my 2 cents worth

I'm very happy to buy it as I'm feed up with the idea of asking people to put time in for nothing, especial when they want me to do it. :o

xor

Post by xor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:53 pm

I'm with Tim on that one.

johngb

Post by johngb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 pm

As long as the price is proportionate. You'll need a few more takers than have responded to this poll so far!
JohnB

octal

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 pm

johngb wrote:You'll need a few more takers than have responded to this poll so far!
:D :D :D :D nicely said John ... 80 views and 6 polls :)

TimB

Post by TimB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 pm

Its normal to get such a poor response. I will say though you have to accept it will not be big seller. It's a very nice bit of code, keep it to $20 and you will maximise the sales as will making it work for the other compilers.

BTW We do not mind you here mention them not like that touchy lot on the ME forum. :o

octal

Post by octal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi Tim,
I know that it will not be big seller. I also said that money is/was not my motivation when I started working on it. It was just a tool I needed to draw some nice fonts and logos on my GLCD. When I heared somebody on this forum asking for such tool, I was surprised by the fact that nobody developed such utility. This is why I added a lot of stuf to it and made it as plugin for Swordfish.
ME team do not like other compiler be mentioned on their web site. I think that the fact that I'll publish SF plugin for free has a bit hurted them. It's their method of doing business and I respect it (bu do not approve it).

Regards
Octal

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:10 am

I think it's an excellent bit of work octal.

I don't know how often I would use it but if it were a low cost purchase I'd probably buy it. But if it were 'bundled' with SF (or a low-cost option) then it would make SF even more attractive as a purchase for potential new customers.

I just wish there was a dsSF.... but that's for another time and place.