A respectful WIBNI

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Francis

A respectful WIBNI

Post by Francis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Pre-amble: The following is very 'easy for me say' as I can only imagine the complexities of the IDE coding to produce such an excellent editor. I also have the memory retention of a goldfish and am short of printing paper. So my suggestion is with the greatest respect - a WIBNI and NOT a criticism so don't be cross :wink:

Is it possible to have either:
A) A split-screen so I can keep sections of code visible while I edit another section?
B) A 'floating' always-on-top window/pane for ditto reasons.

If this is already an option, oops I didn't see it.

TimB

Post by TimB » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:43 pm

I was about to post a utility I use on Proton called clipboard which does just what you want, however as its expecting to see Proton all the time it comes up with a small error message, which while its does not stop you using it makes it a pain to use.

I will see if the chap who wrote it can do a SF conversion it would only be a line or 2 to convert.

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 am

That sounds great Tim.

TimB

Post by TimB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:24 am

I have spoken with him and he is going to look through his backups for the source, I hope this weekend...

octal

Post by octal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:56 am

Hi,
It would be nice to describe correctly the needed feature and if possible to give some screenshots (or links) to let us see the wanted behaviour.
I think that plugin system of Swordfish is nice but could be enhanced a lot, but it seems to not be the priority for now. Perhaps the best thing we can get is to have a full command line compiler fully independent from the IDE. This will let us use other IDE like Eclipse or any other text editor able to call command line tools.
Best regards
Octal

TimB

Post by TimB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:07 am

This is the link to clip-board

http://www.protongeeks.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=30

I just place it on the screen and size as required, I can then match the lines up and compare text exactly. Probably my most used plugin

You can run it with SF as it is but there is that error message to deal with

The SF plugin system is the same as Proton and the developers I know think that it works very well. Perhaps you are not aware of all the capability's.

If you are going to do it let me know so I can save Paul's time...

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:54 am

Well I like the look of it. Well done to Paul.

Please let me know if Paul does some mods specifically for SF.
That would be most appreciated.

octal

Post by octal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:08 pm

TimB wrote:The SF plugin system is the same as Proton and the developers I know think that it works very well.
I agree with the fact that it works very well and it's very fine. I never said that it's not good, I only think that it could be enhanced a lot to give developpers more possibilities to interract with the IDE.
TimB wrote:Perhaps you are not aware of all the capability's.
For sure, I do not have enought time to spend on it. I have only written the little code browser plugin (and have not finished yet the GCLD Font creator), and the API as stated by the documentation is only in beta state. But I thik that, since David has not enought time to spend on it, he (or mecanique staff) should think about a way to let more people envolved in its development perhaps by making some of it open source, or by making the compiler really independent from the IDE to let us develop other IDEs.
TimB wrote:If you are going to do it let me know so I can save Paul's time...
No, sorry but I do not have enought time to spend on such developments. I think that this kind of functionnalities has to be embedded directly in the IDE (I think the same for the Code Browser Plugin).

Best regards
Octal