Swordfish-si installing adware/malware

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Gordon_h

Swordfish-si installing adware/malware

Post by Gordon_h » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 pm

In trying to update my setup, I followed a link from the forum, to download swordfish-si.exe. I ran it, and it prompted me for my product key- it accepted it just fine, and continued with a "Free Download Manager" install. With trepidation, I clicked continue. It launched a window where it was going to install the Download Manager, including an icon. It also tried to install InternetHelper toolbar for all my browsers. It then wanted to install PageRage, DomainAdvisor, and PCSpeedMaximizer. I declined all of these, and Download Manager completed, but did not install Swordfish.

In fact, the only thing it has NOT offered to install is Swordfish. I tried it 3 or 4 times with the same result. Kind of creepy- is this a corrupt installer? I did not see any other references on the forum to this sort of thing.

If it makes any difference, I am running Win 7.

Where can I get a "clean" install from?

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Re: Swordfish-si installing adware/malware

Post by David Barker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 am

Swordfish SI is not trying to install adware / malware - please don't make such comments without hard evidence. Thank you. Clear out your windows temp folder, as outlined here,

http://sfcompiler.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1811

Gordon_h

Post by Gordon_h » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

David, I am very sorry! I eventually followed a lot of links on the internet and got to the bottom of it. This particular problem was caused by a "setup.exe" in my downloads folder. Even though my Windows Temp was empty, this thing somehow hijacked the install process.

I wish to categorically say that I have no evidence whatsoever of any problem at all related to swordfish-si.exe. I withdraw all my comments about this, and apologize for any inconvenience or anxiety this may have caused.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm

No problem, glad you have it all working...