Changing Default folder for UserLibrary

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

SteveB

Changing Default folder for UserLibrary

Post by SteveB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:13 pm

I may have missed this, but is there some way to change the default folder for UserLibrary (similar to changeing the default source folder in the View/Editor Options/General tab)?

If not, I would like to request the feature. It would make it much more convenient to have all "my" code in one place. Both for easier access and periodic backups. Most folks like to keep "working" files seperate from "system" files (especially on Windows-whatever machines).

SteveB

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm

At some point in the future I will be adding to the IDE the ability to define additional search paths. However, the user library folder if for your use. It's not a system folder and will not be touched during updates.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:20 am

I should add that you can create your own sub folders in 'UserLibrary' for more organised content - the compiler will pick the modules up. For example,

..\UserLibrary\Graphics
..\UserLibrary\OneWire\DS18B20

and so on...

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:59 pm

I think I may not have explained well enough. Using the editor options, I can select the default folder that PBP opens to when opening project files. So I have placed a folder under "My Documents" which contains my project code. However, when modifying system modules, or creating my own, I need to place these in the UserLibrary folder, which is in the SwordFish folder, so that the compiler can find them when needed.

For me, this is a bit of a hassle, as I have a seperate HD/Partition for all my Non-OS/Program/sytem files (such as "My Documents"), which gets backed-up automaticlly each night on a NAS (basically anything I have created and cant be found on a CD/DVD/download for install). The main program partition only gets backed up manually every couple of weeks. I've had my share of HD failues, and am a bit paranoid about data security. After much frustrations, I've found this a very workable solution when things go bad.

So, It would be easier for me to be able to tell the compiler, "Look in XYZ folder for the UserLibrary files," that way they can also be put on the seperate drive, facilitating backup. This is certianly not a BIG deal, just a convience thing I ran across. I am certain there are more important things your working on right now, so just keep it on a post-it somewhere when you get to tweeting the IDE. BTW, when it looks like that might be on the horizon, you might give a shout out for suggestions (Or NOT :wink: ), as I know I have a couple of little tweaks in mind.

Great work, thanks for the support.

Cheers,
SteveB