Update from 2.2.0.9 to 2.2.1.2 Not working

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Tom Estes

Update from 2.2.0.9 to 2.2.1.2 Not working

Post by Tom Estes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:53 pm

When I start SF full version, it advises an update is available. After entering my Update Password, I get a successful download of the update and it appears everything updates OK. The IDE restarts after the update but the version doesn't change, it remains 2.2.0.9 and 1.1.5.5.

The next time I start SF it flags that a new version is available.

I run Win7 64bit and have done successful SF updates before this one.

Is it me or David? I figure it must be me since no one else is having difficulty, but I don't know how to approach a fix. Help?

Tom

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Check your permissions - are you logged on as administrator? Trying running the application as administrator.

Tom Estes

Post by Tom Estes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Yes, I'm logged on as administrator. I also checked the box to run the program as administrator. Same result.

After the downloads, I get SFs update success message, the SF ask "what do I want to do" box, I choose close IDE. SF box "Installation complete" flashes up just before restart. It restarts then tells me it has found an update......

The path to the program is this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mecanique\Swordfish\SwordfishIDE.exe"

The Swordfish.exe and SwordfishIDE.exe files at that path both show a modified date of 6/8/2011 so looks like they aren't being replaced.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:36 pm

I've just run an update on my XP (32 bit) and win7 (64 bit) machines (with Norton AV enabled) and it all works as expected. It's really difficult to offer any advise when I cannot reproduce the error here. Probably the question you need to ask it what has changed on your machine from the updates working to when it stopped? What about your anti-virus software - try disabling?

Tom Estes

Post by Tom Estes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks David, I understand it is hard to help when it can't be duplicated. Disablng anti-viris and firewall didn't help.

I'll plug around on this end for a fix. I often find if I leave a broken part of Win7 alone for a month or two, it magically gets fixed. They issue so many patches it is hard to tell when they break something. As far as I can remember, I haven't installed anything or changed anything since the last successful SF update except for their "updates".

Thanks for your very quick response. I'll let the forum know if/when I find a solution.

Tom Estes

Post by Tom Estes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, there is a fix.

I changed the program properties to run as an XP program and made the SF update. It updated. I then changed the program property back to Win7 mode and the update remained in place, everything appears OK.

Go Figure......

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Glad it's sorted Tom, although I have not seen that behaviour before - thanks for getting back with your workaround...