Programmer for MPLAB ICD2 compatible programmer??

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

NoSmoke

Programmer for MPLAB ICD2 compatible programmer??

Post by NoSmoke » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:35 am

Hello, newby here:

Have started looking at SF but a programmer for MPLAB ICD2 hardware (which I am using now with the MPLAB IDE) doesn't seem to be included. Is there one available anywhere and, if so, how would I go about installing it?

Thanks for any help........

TimB

Post by TimB » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:29 am

No Microchip programmer I know of lets you use it out side of mplabs.

This is a Microchip issue.

fbraun

Post by fbraun » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:16 pm

I believe NEWFOUND Electronics got around that problem.

octal

Post by octal » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 pm

fbraun wrote:I believe NEWFOUND Electronics got around that problem.
I hate the way newfound electronics is doing it's business. It's out of business now ... they do not evolve their WARP13 ... I paied for being GOLD member chip ... and until now I had ONLY ONE update for the firmware and 2 updates of the software. The developper of NewFoundElectronics has completely switched his mind in developping software and firmware for the DIY K149 and K150 programmers. And Now newfoundelectronics is saying that everybody has to pay for future versions (to stay member of the club)... and that the warp13 is not supposed to be Picstart (and thus mplab) compatible. It clearly states that compatibility will not be considered a priority... when we know that most pic programmers buys warp13 instead of other programmers because of compatibility with mpLab.

This way of doing business is very bad, very ugly ... I have two Warp13 programmers, ... and I used them for a while ... but now I think that Olimex Picstart compatible programmer is a better choice ... because Olimex is more serious in it's business.
I'm not and (I'll NEVER be) waiting for Newfoundelectronics to create anything for mplab ... because I think that it's not a serious partner for serious developpers.

For ICD2 I do not think it's possible to integrate it in a commercial product. I know that there are lot of GNU tools interfaced to it, you can find on the web PikLab that has some modules to interface to ICD2, but I know also that MikroElektronika tried to use it for it's compiler (MikroBasic/MikroPascal and MikroC) and that they have not had luck at having authorisation at doing it ... even using reverse engenieering. So they go on and created their own ICD (integrated in their languages and in their dev cards like EasyPIC4 ....) but it seems that peoples complains from it because it seems to be very very slow.

Kind regards