Swordfish, worth buying?

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Tomatix

Swordfish, worth buying?

Post by Tomatix » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Yes I know this sounds like an awkward and a stupid question, but I am really curious.
The reason why I am considering buying this compiler is it actually works well.
Also, I have now in a week tried to make some libraries for a GLCD KS0108 with the MPLAB C, but had no success. The timing, data transfer, etc, is all correct... Wiring was confirmed OK because SFcompiler SE could use it. As last resort I even tried to replicate some of the code from SFcompiler SE, still no luck. So I have given up on my library so I am considering hard to spend a 100 GBP on this software, also the USB support is good to have as that is what I need very soon too. I use this program just for hobby electronics though...
So uh, would it worth it for me to spend that money on this software?

gramo

Post by gramo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

It's a powerful compiler, and you've got a lot of flexibility with the free version to try out the features before upgrading
digital-diy.com - Hobby microcontroller projects and tutorials. Assembly, PICBasic and C examples.

Australian distributor for the Swordfish Compiler

Tomatix

Post by Tomatix » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Yes I know its powerful, I have used the SE edition for a while but I want it to be able to compile more "variable ram" that seems to exceed now and then, and I want the USB support too for a project which includes the graphical LCD and USB.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Well... it Seems that David is back so the compiler is not dead. It is worth every penny. You have nothing to lose in buying it.
Running version 2.2.4.0 ICC 1.2.1.0
Regards CharlieM

Tomatix

Post by Tomatix » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes I read that the author were gone for approx. 2 years.
So the next worry must be that buying things with value over 200 NOK (appx. 21 GBP) I must pay taxes for... And those will be quite huge, 25% of the value + other stuff. Hmm, Any chance of getting the USB dongle marked as a Gift? 8)

--- edit ---
Allright, I purchased it. :D