64 Bit Windows 7 security key failure

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Tom Estes

64 Bit Windows 7 security key failure

Post by Tom Estes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm trying to install Swordfish on a Win7 64 bit platform. All seems to go OK until the dongle driver is loaded. Win7 reports the driver installation failed. It suggests I go to the manufacturer and get the latest driver. The driver is signed so that is not the problem, it just fails to install. From what I can determine I'm trying to install Microcosm Ltd driver, version 6.0.1.0 dated 4/1/2006.

Anyone else have this problem?

Tom Estes

Failure self corrected

Post by Tom Estes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Good 'ole Microsoft. Although Win7(64) complained with a big red X that it didn't install the security key driver, it must have. Indeed I couldn't get SF to work as it kept insisting on the key. However - after I shut the machine completely down, and having left the key in the usb slot, upon the next start, all was well. SF worked fine, no complaints from Win7.

I guess all is well - doesn't inspire much confidence but we'll carry on......

Doj

Post by Doj » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Hello Tom,
I just this minute did an install of SF from the original disk on my MacBook Pro in VMWare Fusion with Win7 64Bit Enterprise and it went as smoothly as Sinatra ballad.

Its encouraging to see microsoft are stealing so many features from OSX that it almost makes it a pleasure to use.

Gordon_h

Windows 7 security key doesn't work

Post by Gordon_h » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm

I have been trying to get SF going on my new computer with Win7. The install from the CD seemed to go okay, but I still get the "Please install USB security key" message when I try to start SF. Using the view hardware feature, it appears that Windows knows the key is there, but it has a little yellow blob with an exclamation point that indicates it is not working correctly. Clicking the properties, I asked it to update the driver, and it went through the motions only to say that the best driver was already installed. The path it gives is:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\ddusbkey.sys

I have read all the forum threads, and tried the suggestions, such as booting with the key inserted, all to no avail. I have been at this now for almost a week, and since my old disk really died, I am in limbo. Buying another XP PC just for SF is not in the budget, and seems rather silly anyway, since it appears others have conquered this.

Any hints at all would be appreciated. I have two dongles, and have tried them both.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:24 am

Hi Gordon,

Did you try to uninstall the driver and re install it? I just had to reinstall windows and SF all went fine. If you still can't get it to work maybe I can email you my driver. They should be the same.
Running version 2.2.4.0 ICC 1.2.1.0
Regards CharlieM

Gordon_h

Post by Gordon_h » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:18 am

Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, but with no luck. I went to the .sys file and deleted it, but when I plugged the dongle back in, it seemed to find the driver- as if it had magically re-appeared. The magic of Win 7! I suppose I could try your driver, but I must say it seems like a long shot. It is beginning to look like I either give up on Swordfish or Windows 7! I will go and google around sites for problems with Win7 and dongles, but I imagine Microcosm must have encountered this before.