Pcc24/33 compiler opinion

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Raistlin

Pcc24/33 compiler opinion

Post by Raistlin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi guys , is there anyone out there using Microelektronica's basic compiler for pic24/ds33 ??

For a current project I may HAVE to migrate to a 24. I am lothe to go away from SF and PDS for this one , but might not have a choice.

Of course if David releases a 16 bit compiler like Swordfish for Pic24 I will drop mikro like a red hot potato, but until then does anyone know how the compiler stacks up, mainly in the bug/error arena ?

Any opinions from people using this compiler would be welcome.
If you can read this you are too close

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:26 pm

I use SF for PIC18s and mikroBasic/dsPIC (I also have mikroBASIC and Oshonsoft for PIC12/16/18). No major problems with the PIC24/dsPIC33 compiler and I like it. Code can be somewhat bloated at times - most compilers are, particularly when using built-in libraries - but other than that, it works well for me.

Like you (and many others) should SF become available for the 24-bit core, I will migrate ASAP.

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:26 am

Make that another vote...or rather an engineering shop full of votes for the 24F or higher compiler in SF...I looked at that "other" compiler as well, and I agree, I have been spoiled by the open-source libraries in SF.

Doj

Post by Doj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Joe might I suggest you give the complicated code writing to Gromit and you can get on with the easy stuff and have a beer!, just a thought.

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 am

Gromit would thank you for your nice compliment but he's currently out buying me another case of beer. Sorry, he's not for hire just yet, he's working on a new driver library I'm supervising.

de Tom