SF and the future

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

dmtulsa

SF and the future

Post by dmtulsa » Fri May 28, 2010 11:18 pm

I really like SF and I really like Proton PDS. I don't understand the relation between them but it seems the same people are involved.

The marriage of SF & PDS would be the best of both worlds. I really like how SF uses sub,function, type structures ect... like VB. There are many things in PDS I really like. If PDS used sub,function, type structures ect... like VB or SF had all the commands and support PDS has it would be one awesome compiler.

I can wish can't I

Doug
Doug
kd5nwk

gramo

Post by gramo » Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 am

As you have already experienced, programming with SF is much the same as VB. Very structured and modular.

I have recently run into a couple of issues with SF with regards to RAM recycling - others have as well. With no official support to date regarding the issue, SF users had to create local 'workarounds' which deviate from normal use.

Reliability is my underpinning value with product selection and I am starting to lean back to PDS given the extended time between updates/addressing bugs
digital-diy.com - Hobby microcontroller projects and tutorials. Assembly, PICBasic and C examples.

Australian distributor for the Swordfish Compiler

Francis

Post by Francis » Sat May 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Ah, we can all wish.
We've had quite a few "David will be back soon" type postings.
I'm not quite sure whether there is a an alternative meaning for "soon"?

The annoying thing I find is that for most stuff SF is the nicest compiler I've used. I'm sure that if David (or succesor) did the tweaks and updates and actually marketed the product properly that it would be a major success.
And by 'marketing' I mean a bit more than word-of-mouth and Google hits.

I assume we'll be seeing a new PDS for dsPICs soon?
I'm not a fan of the old-fashioned structure, but at least there is progress and support from the Authors.
If only David had a done a SF version, would have wiped M.E.
A few Davids in partnership would be the answer :wink:

Anyway, it's easy to wave my Magic Wand and I wish David every success in his new ventures.

dmtulsa

Post by dmtulsa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:31 pm

I keep thinking I should put on ebay my two USB dongles I have for SF but then Hope gets the best of me. If it goes on much longer I'll be so used to PDS I would have a hard time going back to SF. It is a sad state of affairs. As was said, it could have been the best out there.
Doug
kd5nwk

dmtulsa

Post by dmtulsa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:41 pm

One last thought, I have not used Mikroelektronika's basic. I have been following it once in awhile. I think they may have the resources to overcome even PDS. As I understand it, it also is very VB like but has many bugs. When this is fixed, watch out. I know there are updates all the time and its getting much better. Lots for functions and libraries. I have no idea what kind of code it produces. I'd guess its no where close to SF or PDS in memory use or speed. Lastly I'm making an effort to learn C-18. C is not too bad, its all the setup that kills me.

Doug
Doug
kd5nwk

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Hang on to your dongles, people will break theirs sooner or later.

I can't comment on M.E. code versus SF or PDS.
I did use Basic and Pascal M.E. a couple of years ago and the bugs, poor documentation, out-of-date example code and slow Forum response drove me up the wall.
... of course, those were the days when SF was enthusiastically supported.

I thought Raistlin's "soon" was a bit over-keen :wink:
You'll probably find David is working for Les these days.

MattH

Post by MattH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 pm

You'll probably find David is working for Les these days.
Yup.. that's correct. He just finished a new IDE and Bootloader for the Amicus18 board.

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Blimey, I only said that as a joke.
My new 'Made in EU' crystal ball is far better than the old Chinese Ebay model. :wink:

I thought:
A) The Amicus bootloader was a modified (Tiny?) one (a morning's work).
B) The IDE was a modifed PDS IDE (1 weeks work).
C) Testing and coffee. (2 Weeks)

What's he been doing for the other 6 months? :lol:

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:06 pm

I tried to get to the website today and it was down for a few minute. I thought maybe it was down for good. It eventually came back, but it made me wonder about the possibility of this site truly going away. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened. If "someone" neglects to renew the domain, we'll be staring a page full of ads.

Which makes me wonder, is there a way to back up a forum that isn't yours? Is there any interest in moving to a different forum for swordfish users? It would be a shame to lose all the information that is posted on this board. I'd also hate to lose access to the user modules and examples on the main site. I'm going to grab all the modules now before it's too late!

Jon Chandler

Post by Jon Chandler » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 pm

I too had that experience and fear a few weeks ago!

normnet

Post by normnet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 pm

JWinters wrote:Which makes me wonder, is there a way to back up a forum that isn't yours?
See Website Downloader.

Norm

Francis

Post by Francis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 am

I hadn't thought of that.
That is a very good point.

When I look through Forum and Wiki and Modules and Articles I realise how much effort has gone into it by David and many others.
A huge amount of superb and valuable work could be lost.
It would be a tremendous waste if and when this Forum disappears.

Is there a way to move a Forum so that it can be used and maintained by the 'collective'?
I know nothing of costs, but I assume this Forum mut be costing somene a certain figure?

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:48 pm

If someone wants to backup the forum and website, they need to do it ASAP.

This domain is due to expire on July 17, 2010. Who knows if it will be here on July 18th.

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 pm

I tried out that Website Downloader. It took a while on a very fast connection. I managed to get most of the forum. Unfortunately, without the PHP backend it's not in any kind of searchable format. It's just html files of every post. Better than nothing I guess.

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:49 am

I installed the Copernic Desktop Search, it's not a perfect solution but with some tweaking and excluding every directory on your computer except the mirrored website directory it at least functions.

You need to exclude all your drives and folder in the initial setup step, but it won't let you exclude certain ones. After you run it you can go into options and modify and choose skip all files in this directory, for the directories it wouldn't let you exclude in the first step. It also has a quick view browser built in so when you click on a found search it pops the page in a bottom frame.

Not perfect but at least you have the ability to search the mirrored site.