SF and the future

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:46 pm

The domain renewal timing lends one to believe that it was an automated renewal. In the end the silence still doesn't really doesn't bode well for future. I'm hoping he is just busy with life and this has simply taken a back burner instead of being totally forgotten.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi Mav,

I never would have guessed. thanks for checking into this. We only ask because we a concerned over the future of SF and David's well being.
Running version 2.2.4.0 ICC 1.2.1.0
Regards CharlieM

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:28 pm

I for one would be more than happy to send him money if he would come out with an update to fix the bugs. I'd send him even more money for a 16-bit version that would run on the pic24/dsPIC33 series.

I hate to say this, being a tight wad myself, but the current compiler is way too cheap when you compare it to the cost of other tools and what you get.

He might even want to consider marketing the thing a little. There's no mention of Mecanique or Swordfish on the Microchip site anywhere except for a couple of references in some forum messages. I only stumbled across it by accident when a client of ours wanted us to use PicbasicPro to do some development work (ugh!). In terms of features, there's nothing in the BASIC realm I've found that even comes close, and I've tried a bunch. SF blows the doors off all of them.

If it doesn't stick around with some active development/support, then eventually I guess it's back to C.

Jerry

Francis

Post by Francis » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Marketing is so important - trouble is that a major distributor will want support and continuity from the Manufacturer.
I see Amicus is now in Farnell, so that's a good 'in' for Les and Proton.
i.e. Amicus advertises Proton.

Sadly, I can't find Swordfish anywhere except Circuit-Ed. I can't eve remember how I found it. I'm glad I found it. I wish David would re-find a way back to here and actually try growing the product.

How long have we all been hoping for a return now? Must be nearly a year.

RangerBob

Post by RangerBob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Raistlin wrote: For those who haven't put two and two together I am MAVERICK PDS forum moderator. So I will petition Les (who I know id a good friend of Dave) and see if he can help shed some light.
Dammnit - I knew the writing style was familiar! Hello Mav!

Well I have to say I am pleased that we are still here. I hate C!

Seriously though, I am now planning on using Microchip C where possible, but to me it is serious pain. These last couple of weeks have seemed like pulling teeth compared to usual.

I understand if times are difficult for David at present due to financial or time pressures, but the uncertainty and lack of communication here has probably killed this product deader than poor marketing can, which is such a shame as this compiler is pretty much the best i've found.

My plan was always to continue using Swordfish where possible, simply because it is so easy to use in comparison, for prototyping products, projects for my own amusement and where I can get away with it ;).

Lets hope all this is now behind us now & David pops up with a PIC24/dsPIC/PIC32 powerhouse; I'll probably give him a second chance!

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am

I'll second that.

I just saw something fly past my window... :wink:

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am

gramo wrote:D-Day can be held off for at least another 2 years!

Registration status:
Renewal request being processed.
I'm not totally sure on this. I recall reading somewhere that once a domain expires it is still reserved for a period (30 or 60 days I think) before being released on the open market. His registry / hosting company may have just kept the thing running during this period... A renewal should take a fairly short time, it's 3 days after and it is still 'being processed'...

(But let's hope I'm wrong on that!)

dbracken

Post by dbracken » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Blackcattech,
You are correct in that some domain registrars have a period of time before putting the domain back into the affray but sounds more like the domain registrar hasn't yet received the funds. I must admit that I've not seen mine display this status for such a period.

The good news is that the forum is still here. Now all we need is for David to give us some words of wisdom, failing that a good joke, failing that even a bad joke will suffice ;-)

Dave.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm

If Steven could comment on this(the status of SF) that would be some help. I see him logged in sometimes. Steven are you out there??????? :)
Regards CharlieM

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:33 am

Yes - I'm still here. But unfortunately I no longer know what is happening. There was a good reason why David was away for a while which was personal, but I don't know what the current situation is. I've emailed David, but have not heard back from him. I have limited ftp access to the uploads section of the Swordfish wiki, but not enough access to backup the forum, so can do little. Like you all, I am hopeful that we will hear from David soon and that Swordfish won't just disappear. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

DerekUnderlay

Post by DerekUnderlay » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:00 am

Well, I hope he's better now. And I sincerely hope he comes back.

Did he work on the Amicus compiler/IDE?
If so, he must be keeping his 'hand in'.

Thanks Steven. Handy to know you're kind of in touch with David.
Didn't raistlin try and contact him too? Also no reply?

I'm sure if David was going to do something he'd have been teasing/priming us with postings....

Maybe he feels too embarrassed to come back - he shouldn't.
Maybe he's washed his hands of Swordfish and will go back to Les?
It's a pity they couldn't get together.

Best we have a Sweepstakes "How long can we carry on hoping?"
I don't mean to sound flippant but this unknown status doesn't help anyone really and this compiler/IDE style has huge potential which is , sadly, potentially wasted.

dmtulsa

Post by dmtulsa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Well if anyone needs some USB dongles let me know. I've totally made the switch and won't be back. I went through this with many years ago with BasicMicro. Wont happen again.

Doug
Doug
kd5nwk

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Doug,

What did you switch to? what do you want for the dongles?
Regards CharlieM

roger

Post by roger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Charlie, Doug, Steven et al,

Like all of you I have watched and waited for the return of David, but all that seems to happen is that speculation is rife, fact is non existant.

Similar things have been happening over on the Proton forum. Les of PDS fame intimated that a PDS24 compiler was in the offing over 2 years ago, but to date absolutely nothing. What did we end up with? - AMICUS - oh hooray.

I personally had a serious problem with a customer when Les of Proton went walk-about 18 months or so ago, it took over 6 months for an answer to a post, but by then it was too late.

My guess is that the days of niche PIC compilers is dying, if not already dead, pity, but there it is. I made my feeling and thoughts known to Lester of Crownhill, but zilch response.

Some months ago I decided that I could wait no longer, and struck out with pic24 and dspic and C18/C30 compiler. Oh how I wish that I had done this years ago.

I still use Proton for quick 18F code, but how long before Les does a David and vaporises into the ether.

Maybe we should form an ex SF/PDS forum, but I would not know how to do that.

All I would say to David , Les et al, it takes years to build a reputation, but only weeks to destroy, so how about some feedback? - or do you really not want customers!

roger

dmtulsa

Post by dmtulsa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Yes its a bad thing. For now I'm using Proton PDS. Lately its been very well supported.

As I said in my last post I sold my SF USB dongles.

To be honest I've ordered the MikroE kit for the dsPic-Pic24. If it turns out to be good then I'll get it for the PIC 18's 16's ect... And that will be my main compiler.

If that fails then all that's left is C. ASM for the PIC 24's is just too much for my little brain. It seems that MikroE has come a long way and is making good compilers now. Many people, SF & PDS users have PM'd me (not wanting to be blasted on the forums) that MikroE is their compiler of choice now. Some names that would surprise most, some are forum leaders both here and the PDS forum.

What has impressed my is that MikroE do all the Libraries in pascal translated from the Microchip Lib's. This allows them to write one lib usable on all their compilers. Smart.

SF users well find it very SF/VB like. may be harder for PDS users. will see for myself.

There is no shame moving on. We have been let down. Have we wasted our money ? no I don't think so but now it is going to cost another $200. Or use the Free C-18 / hiTech lite. I hate C.

So, fare well my friends. hope to see you on the mikroE forums soon.

doug
Doug
kd5nwk