interested in new device support?

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

interested in new device support?

Post by Jerry Messina » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:01 pm

There have been a number of new devices released recently that are no longer supported by the existing tools since mchip dropped support for MPASM, including the Q83/Q84 and the 14/20-pin Q40/Q41 families.

I've been looking into extending MPASM to work with these devices and so far it looks promising. There are a few quirks with the some devices, but nothing earth-shattering yet.

I'm going to do a beta test with the 20-pin 16F16Q40 as a proof-of-concept first, and if that works out I'll start on updating stuff to work with these new chips. I expect that part will take a while since all the current tools are built around mplab and mpasm, so they'll have to be re-written.

For development you'd need a PICkit4, ICD4, or SNAP programmer and MPLABX (at least the IPE portion for programming).
An alternative might be to use the PIC18F16Q40 Curiosity Nano Evaluation kit (EV70C97A) since it includes a built-in PKOB debugger/programmer.

My plan right now is to try using the Q40 Curiosity Nano w/MPLABX first and see how it goes...

Anyone interested in trying it out when I have a beta ready?

octal

Re: interested in new device support?

Post by octal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi Jerry,
thank you for all the hard work you are doing on adding support for new devices.
I personally think that the real solution to this problem is to write a full assembler from scratch. Not the easiest thing to do but definitely the ultimate one.
Microchip keeps modifying their tools and encrypting their support files (dev files and co). This is a stupid move from them, they keep ignoring all third party tools developers, so the best solution is to break this link between SF and their tools.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I agree, that's probably the right way to do it, but that's a boatload of work!

In the meantime, I have mpasmx assembling for all the new chips that it didn't support (Q83, Q84, Q40, and Q41),
so I just have to create devices files (and add some library support) and it should be good to go with SF.

I've already had a go with compiling for the 18F16Q40 and integrating it with mplabx debugging, so all of that's working.

Just doing all that's enough for me. Maybe one day when I don't have a day job I'll look at it...

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 pm

just fyi - V2.2.3.6 provides support for these new devices.

Ruben dela Pena

Post by Ruben dela Pena » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

Dear Jerry...I just receive the chips of the Q family 18F06Q41 and 18F16Q41,but I do not have my Swordfish running...
Mi old computer was broken and I did not have the oportunity for unregister the program...
You told me David Baker was at charge of register the users,but neither the enquires or the admin addresses work...
The mail system rejects the mails...So I can't reinstall the program to get the last upgrades...
Do you can help me ? Or maybe you can give me a phone number to try to speak with David...
Thanks again and I an sorry to bother you...
Have a nice day...
Ruben de la Pena V.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Ruben,

If you go to "quick links" | "Members", David Barker you should be able to send a PM or email to David from there.

I don't have a phone number.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:43 am

I'm not aware of problems with my email.

However, do what Jerry suggests. #

PM me on this board and include your Swordfish registration number. I can then get the latest compiler build to you...

Dave

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:31 am

Hello guys,

I have a couple of PIC18F06Q41 parts on the way... But fedex seems to be holding them for the past week (or has lost them) in Memphis, Tennessee. Reminds of the song. I also have the pickit4 which has been tested with MPLAB IPE v5.45 under windows 7. I have tested the pickit4 to the extent that it can load and read a hex file for an 18f24k22.

I'd be happy to help with the PIC18F06Q41 if it ever escapes from Tennessee.

Best regards,
Lee

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:52 am

Great, Lee. The Q41 has a lot of features to play around with. Sounds like you have all you'll need if your chips ever make the Great Escape!.
It'd be good to get some feedback once you're all setup... there's bound to be some things I've missed along the way.

I have some library updates that I'll be posting soon, mostly having to do with vectored interrupt support for parts like that with the VIC module.
It's now much easier to setup. Working on a wiki article now to explain how to use it...

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 am

Hi Jerry
I finally received the 18F06Q41 and it seems very much like a 18F26K42 that I ordered about 2-3 years ago without first reviewing the data sheet. For the 18F06Q41 I used an so16 to wide dip adapter and added the programming header. After a wait that seemed like an eternity, the mplab ide recognized it and I could breathe again.... I decided to use a scrap piece of oak flooring for a base because the 948 page data sheet "floored me" (sorry could not help myself)... I did write a small (trivial is what it would be called) to help me verify the programming interface (although the pikit4 recognizing the device did that already). The LED does blink on and off once per second!

I tried to attach a jpg of the floor board... But I am doing something wrong...

I am assuming that the results you want to gather can be written to the EEPROM or I have a USB that I use the power the 18F06Q41 FLOOR BOARD and could easily capture serial data....
best regards
Lee

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 am

The "FLOOR BOARD"

[img class="fit-picture"
src="PIC18F06Q41.jpg"
alt=""PIC18F06Q41 FLOOR BOARD"]
Attachments
PIC18F06Q41.jpg
PIC18F06Q41.jpg (190 KiB) Viewed 8168 times

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:39 am

Datasheets now rival War And Peace.

I'm not looking for anything specific, just how things go as you try various functions.
The new devices have some very different layouts.

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:44 am

Hi Jerry
I'll bet the data sheet reads better than Crime and Punishment!
I SEE SOME SERIOUS READING IN MY FUTURE...
TIME TO TRY OUT THE PIN ASSIGNMENT PROGRAM.
Maybe I will learn enough to play with the K42...
Regards
Lee