interested in new device support?

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

interested in new device support?

Post by Jerry Messina » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:01 pm

There have been a number of new devices released recently that are no longer supported by the existing tools since mchip dropped support for MPASM, including the Q83/Q84 and the 14/20-pin Q40/Q41 families.

I've been looking into extending MPASM to work with these devices and so far it looks promising. There are a few quirks with the some devices, but nothing earth-shattering yet.

I'm going to do a beta test with the 20-pin 16F16Q40 as a proof-of-concept first, and if that works out I'll start on updating stuff to work with these new chips. I expect that part will take a while since all the current tools are built around mplab and mpasm, so they'll have to be re-written.

For development you'd need a PICkit4, ICD4, or SNAP programmer and MPLABX (at least the IPE portion for programming).
An alternative might be to use the PIC18F16Q40 Curiosity Nano Evaluation kit (EV70C97A) since it includes a built-in PKOB debugger/programmer.

My plan right now is to try using the Q40 Curiosity Nano w/MPLABX first and see how it goes...

Anyone interested in trying it out when I have a beta ready?

octal

Re: interested in new device support?

Post by octal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi Jerry,
thank you for all the hard work you are doing on adding support for new devices.
I personally think that the real solution to this problem is to write a full assembler from scratch. Not the easiest thing to do but definitely the ultimate one.
Microchip keeps modifying their tools and encrypting their support files (dev files and co). This is a stupid move from them, they keep ignoring all third party tools developers, so the best solution is to break this link between SF and their tools.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I agree, that's probably the right way to do it, but that's a boatload of work!

In the meantime, I have mpasmx assembling for all the new chips that it didn't support (Q83, Q84, Q40, and Q41),
so I just have to create devices files (and add some library support) and it should be good to go with SF.

I've already had a go with compiling for the 18F16Q40 and integrating it with mplabx debugging, so all of that's working.

Just doing all that's enough for me. Maybe one day when I don't have a day job I'll look at it...

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 pm

just fyi - V2.2.3.6 provides support for these new devices.