VS1001 Audio Decoder Library Available

Post here if you want to announce new wiki modules, projects or articles

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

dman776

VS1001 Audio Decoder Library Available

Post by dman776 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:00 pm

I just added a library to interface/control the VS1001 Audio Decoder chip from www.vlsi.fi.

http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki ... ser.VS1001

Comments are welcomed.

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for posting this - it's a useful library. I'm encouraged to get a VS1001 and give it a go.

Steve

octal

Post by octal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks dman776 :)
thank you very much for this great contribution. I'll try it this weekend.

I received my EasyMP3 Board 10 days ago and I was thinking to write such a driver in order to read some mp3 files. The idea was to reuse Steven SD driver as a storage board for mp3 files with it to make an automatic audio reminder.

I'm using EasyPIC5 now for my devs, but on this board (as was the case for all previous versions) the Vccis 5Volts, and EasyMP3 board
VS1001k is designed to work with 3.3V. For using EasyMP3 board with 5V MCUs a voltage translator circuit must be used. I'm planning to mod my own EasyPic5 board (as I does for EasyPIC4) by removing the 5V regulator and adding plugin a little daughter board that had a 5V and 3.3V regulator with a little switch (and some capacitor for decoupling and noise attenuation) to be able to switch my board to work with 5V/3.3V. The little board I does for EasyPIC4 where designed to work only when the board where using external power supply of course. Maybe I'll post the pcb for the little daughter board and the necessary mods on the EasyPIC boards (Easy3/4/5) when I finish it :)
Steven wrote:Thanks for posting this - it's a useful library. I'm encouraged to get a VS1001 and give it a go.

Steve
Hi Steven,
if you need only the chip (not full board) I think that I have one or two units at home (QFP package if I remember), but I do not remember if it's a VS1001 or VS1002 chip :( I can send it to you if you want.

Regards
octal

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:24 pm

That's a really kind offer - thanks. If I don't go for the EasyMP3 board, I'll get back to you.

Kind regards,

Steve

dman776

Post by dman776 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:28 pm

the EasyMP3 should work fine.
I have both the EasyMP3 and the SmartMP3.
If anyone is considering purchasing one of these, I highly recommend the SmartMP3 board. It is plug and play and you don't have to deal with level shifting, 3V regs, etc. The cost is very reasonable.

my $0.02

Jon Chandler

Post by Jon Chandler » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Octal Wrote:
I received my EasyMP3 Board 10 days ago and I was thinking to write such a driver in order to read some mp3 files. The idea was to reuse Steven SD driver as a storage board for mp3 files with it to make an automatic audio reminder.
I'd be very interested in this. I've been thinking of building an audible reminder for my elderly father who is having increasing difficulty reading a clock and figuring out when to eat and go to activities. The visual cues just aren't enough anymore.

Please share your results with us.

Jon

octal

Post by octal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Jon Chandler wrote:Octal Wrote:

I'd be very interested in this. I've been thinking of building an audible reminder for my elderly father who is having increasing difficulty reading a clock and figuring out when to eat and go to activities. The visual cues just aren't enough anymore.

Please share your results with us.

Jon
Hi John,
I'll share everything when finished. I started thinking to this project because of a friend grand mother. She has a lot of memoization difficulties, so he installed at home three WIFI webcams, and a laptop, and he also installed some audio stuff. he is able, now, from work (from a web browser) to see her and at anytime to activate audio and speak with her to in order to ask her for her medication and if she had or not eat. For such stuff, he wants to give her an automatic audio reminder that he can program at anytime, and he wants to be able to easily change the program. For audio, the simple solution we found was to use MP3 on SD card. The program will be stored also as txt (maybe XML) file on the SD also. the PIC will contain an interpreter that will load the daily program and read the concerned MP3 sound for each programmed temporisation.
Link to PC will be, first time, done on USB port of the actually used laptop, but in near future, we will use the Ethernet module to connect the module directly on the WEB. We want to be able to transfer programs and mp3 directly from anywhere on the web without having a PC connected to the ADSL router.

I'll post all details of the project and final result once we got something robut and working fine.

Regards
octal

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:49 pm

For eithernet you might want to look at the TiBo modules on crownhills site.
They are pretty nifty for that sort of thing.
If you can read this you are too close

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Octal,

On my Easypic4 I use the usb input for 5V. For 3.3V I replaced the 5V onboard regulator with a pin compatible 3.3V version. Very handy this is!
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

octal

Post by octal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:49 pm

ohararp wrote:Octal,

On my Easypic4 I use the usb input for 5V. For 3.3V I replaced the 5V onboard regulator with a pin compatible 3.3V version. Very handy this is!
Yes I tought to that long time before I replace the 5V regulator with my little pcb with two regulators. The problem is that with your solution is that you can not use your board at 5V to power greedy circuits that might need 300mA or more. I prefered to retain the two regulators solution with heat sinkers because it let me switch to any voltage and power any circuits. I prefer to not drop too much from my USB port especially when I use my Laptop.

Regards
octal