Swordfish BackUp

Post here if you want to announce new wiki modules, projects or articles

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Steven
BETA Tester

Swordfish BackUp

Post by Steven » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:36 pm

I've posted a new plugin on the wiki called 'Swordfish BackUp' (http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki ... fishBackUp). It sits in the system tray and makes a backup copy of the active .bas file after a compile. Full details are on the wiki page.

Regards,

Steve

AndyO

Post by AndyO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Great stuff! Having a "here's one I saved earlier" which I can roll-back to after I overwrite working code with 'improvements' which turn out to be rubbish will make life a lot easier.....

Cheers,

Andy.

TimB

Post by TimB » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:18 pm

I think it will only work one deep, so unless I have got the wrong end of the stick you lose the previous one following every compile

I'm not sure really what the use is apart from you being able to go back to the last compiled version

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Tim, you do have the wrong end of the stick. It saves the backup file with an addition to the file name that shows the version number, date and time of compile, as well as compile success/failure. Hence you have a complete version history. There are more details on the wiki.

Andy, thanks for the comments - yes, I too have been there before and broken code with 'improvements'... it was the main reason for writing this simple plugin.

TimB

Post by TimB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 am

Dooow :oops:

Nice work Steve can you turn off the auto saving and just have it saving on request only?

TimB

Post by TimB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:42 am

Steve its a really nice plug in, is it possible to add to the manual save an option to add stage notes?

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, I could add this I'm sure... could you give me a fuller example of what you'd like to do? I could also add options to automatically save or not. Would saving the includes also be helpful?

Steve

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Steve, I turned the little icon in the "tray" in the bottom right corner of XP. The folder with the backups got deleted. I think this is handy, but should be made readily apparent to users.

Otherwise, great work.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Ryan. Could you explain what you did in a little more detail? The plugin shouldn't be deleting any file/folder. If I can repeat it here, I'll try and fix it.

Steve

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Steven,

I had a bunch of applications open when I was testing SF Backup last night. I came back this morning and all the backup folders were in place!
I must have not properly refreshed the folder from within windows explorer.

SF backup has already saved my butt! I deleted some functional code and went to the backup folder and found a previous version that had the code! Very handy feature! Keep up the great work!
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:22 pm

OK, that's good to hear - thanks for the update. Glad to have saved you from loosing code already! And thanks for testing it.

Tom Estes

Great Job Steven

Post by Tom Estes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:54 pm

The backup plugin is working great on my Vista machine. I used to save different versions with different file names so I wouldn't break previous versions with "improvements" but this plug in solves that problem.

Thanks very much for making it available Steven

Tom Estes

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Steven,

After using this for a couple of days I must say that I am really impressed! Wish all compilers had this feature.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Moby

Post by Moby » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:54 pm

What a brilliant plugin. Many thanks Steven.

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Fantastic! This compensates for the occasional problem of the SF GUI environment mixing up file names between open files when there are numerous files open at once. I've lost more than just one day's work with these annoying errors!!

73's,

de Tom