PIC and WIFI question!

Post here if you want to announce new wiki modules, projects or articles

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Francesco.C

PIC and WIFI question!

Post by Francesco.C » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi,

I was thinking of sending commans to a PIC using WIFI from my laptop, directly.

Is this possible? If so can you get me started by telling me wha do I need to do start this project?

Regards

Francesco

normnet

Post by normnet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Perhaps these new Microchip Wi-Fi transceiver modules.
Designed for use with Microchip microcontroller families (PIC18, PIC24, dsPIC33, and PIC32) with downloadable Microchip TCP/IP Stack
This project may be best done in C unless someone can/has port the Microchip TCP/IP Stack to basic.

Or could a terminal at the PC send/receive over the Ethernet in a simple format like com ports do?

Norm

Francesco.C

Post by Francesco.C » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I was away hence the delay in replying.

I have done some investigation and I have a better idea what to do.
I think I will be able to write some code using VB.net.

Regards

Francesco

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Hmmm....I've been looking at these WiFi modules myself. I have a thought....and it's probably more work than just writing everything in C, but I'll post it here....

If the asm from the C code has clearly defined variables that can be called from SF within asm blocks, maybe the C-produced asm could be placed into the SF assembler prior to final compilation with mplab and compiled there. I've done this with other routines but it was much simpler code.

As for pasting in enormous amounts of asm directly into SF...I've done that too so it might be worth a try.

With either method it might be tough to get the RAM variables to line up right, I think.